A quick and dirty knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tecNik

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2006
Leicestershire, UK
deadfish.co.uk
Hello all. I've just been given some rather large metalworking jigsaw blades and quickly made a knife to see what they would work like. Its rather rushed (under 30mins) but I quite like it so I will be building another with a little more effort.

See what you think:
QKnife1.jpg

QKnife2.jpg

tecNik

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2006
Leicestershire, UK
deadfish.co.uk
The blade is about 1.5mm thick, its quite hard steel (being a metalworking blade) and its surprisingly rigid, although you wouldn't want to put the kind of forces on it as you would with your "bushcraft" knife. Because of the hardness and thinness of the blade you can easily put a razor edge on it in seconds combine that with the fact that the saw edge is left on the spine of the knife and it would make a good knife for either filleting fish or cutting thick meat.

"I now dub thee the bush-steak-knife" ;)

tecNik

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2006
Leicestershire, UK
deadfish.co.uk
Keith,
Indeed the main blade is made of CS80 which = EN32 (I think) = C~O.8; Hardness is ~450 VPN; Tensile strength is ~1450 N/mm². But please don't quote me on any figures as I can't (read "can't be bothered") find any details on these blades online.

One of the good things about this is it dosen't contain any chromium so a deep hardening should be possible, on the other hand this means they should also really be blued to prevent rust.

Q: Is it really worth it on a knife that can be made from scrap in under an hour?
A: No, but I'll probably do it anyway! (on MkIII) :D

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
What do ya mean "no craftmanship"? They look darn good to me and anyway, who wants a pritty looking knife? It looks practical and as long as it is strong and sharp enough to do the job then that is all that matters. What really impresses me is that you made it so fast. Well done mate.

Moko

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
lookin great i made my second knife out of a hacksaw blade that i broke making my second one. tonnes of flex, i can bend it 90 degrees and it still springs back to true. need to get a few sawzall blades now to try one like yours.

dean

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE