A Quick and Dirty Hammock Underquilt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com
Last time I went out with my hammock I used a partially-inflated self-inflating mat made by Coleman - it worked well but did tend to end up sliding about a bit.

This time I decided that I'd go without a mat and use one of those cheap silver car windscreen shades. As I got round to packing my kit I was getting more and more concerned that this would cause condensation to build up, so I picked up an £8 sleeping bag from "Home Bargains".

It was very thin, but light and packed down well.

When I arrived and got my hammock and tarp set up I laid the thin sleeping bag out…

IMG_8299 copy.jpg

Then I unzipped it but left it folded as a bag and scrunched up each end and fastened it with a cable-tie. To make it look like a Christmas Cracker.

IMG_8301.jpg

Then I clipped one end of a carabiner bungee to the each of the cable ties and the other to the loop on each of my tree webbings.

IMG_8303.jpg

I then popped the silver windscreen shield into the opening of the sleeping bag and drew the sides up around the hammock.

Getting into it was a little tricky as sprung out but once I was in the hammock it was easy to draw the underquilt up each side of my hammock.

It worked well but I'm still on the lookout for a real one or a cocoon.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE