A question for the swingers on here

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
No, not that kind of swinging, I mean hammockers.

I have recently acquired a load of good quality 25mm webbing and I was thinking of making a couple of tree huggers out of some of it, like the DD hammocks ones.

The question is, how long should the stitched part be to take an average persons weight, and is ordinary polyester cotton OK, or should I get some heavy duty cotton.

Don't see the point in buying them from DD, if I can make them myself.

Thanks

Phill

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The way to be sure you have the right strength is to find the breaking strain of the webbing and the thread you'll use to stitch them up. Divide the breaking strain of the webbing by the breaking strain of the thread to tell you how many sticthes you need.

Usually though, I just run 3 lines of bartacking(close zig zag stitch on your machine) on a 2" overlap or 2 'Box X' stitch patterns on a 3" overlap. Handsewing is fine too, but obviously much slower.

Don't use cotton, it will rot eventually. Normal polyester thread is fine, thicker polyster offers a bit more abrasion resistance.

If the webbing you have is polypropylene, it will stretch much worse than polyester.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE