A question for the Sewing Machine experts amongst us

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Hi, i have just acquired a singer 201k mounted in a treadle table, however it has been converted to electric. It is in working order and was a great find! I intent to use it to make some items such as a hammock, but i have several questions first....

1. As i said it is in working order however id like to clean it up to make it run well, am i right in thinking a squirt of wd40 (or some other type of cleaning agent) would free up any dried oil and then i could lubricate after?

2. What lubricant is best?

3. Whats best, treadle or electric motor? the motor is installed but could i also use the treadle for items where it was preferable? or would that necessitate removal of the motor?

Im chomping at the bit to make something with my new toy!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I wouldn't use WD40 other than to clean and degrease.

To lubricate you need a proper lubricating oil. 3 in 1 might be ok (not tried it) but Singer do their own "Super Oil"
http://www.singermachines.co.uk/sewingmachineparts/singer-super-oil.htm
http://www.sewingmachine-sales.co.uk/sewing_accessories/detail.php?id=331
http://www.uksewing.com/index.php?cPath=35_64

Another useful link if yours is an old one:
http://www.singermachines.co.uk/faq/vintage-sewing-machine-serial-number-list/

Ours turned out to be 1904... and still working after 106 years :) I wonder how many DVD players will be working in 2117 ?

The FAQ links to the left on the Singer site are pretty useful.

Cheers,

iotarho

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2009
Tunbridge Wells
Clipper oil could work too (as in the things you use to shave horses and peoples heads, not some sort of rare boat oil...), as it's thin, designed for fast moving parts that can get clogged up, doesn't stain and reasonably easy to get hold of! But then again, if you have a sewing shop near you they will probably stock oil for their machines anyway.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Keep it oiled with the proper oil and give the motor a break every once in a while if your sewing slowly as it will overheat with slow speeds. I can't get on with the treadle.

Those old singers are quality bits of kit, mine stitches better than the my modern machine!

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Thanks for all the info guys, so do you think i shouldnt use wd40 to remove some of the old dried oil on it? I was just going to spray it in the oiling points and then run the machine to work it through then after oil it properly with the correct oil, how does that sound?

Will the electric motor handle things like leather and webbing ok? I dont want to burn it out! Lol

Also what type of needles are best for heavy work and where would i get them?

Peter

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Will the electric motor handle things like leather and webbing ok? I dont want to burn it out! Lol

Also what type of needles are best for heavy work and where would i get them?

It all depends on how many layers and thickness of the material you intend sewing. Just try it on a scrap piece and go from there.

As for needles for heavyweight material you can buy them from most haberdasheries. Look for the leather/denim ones. Alternatively there's alway ebay

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Leather will need leather needles but these will cut holes in your webbing. For webbing I use Microtex(perfect for ripstop/coated fabrics too) or universal needles.

Shmetz needles are the ones to get.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'm not sure about leather needles-but 60 through to 90 in microtex, ballpoint and universal will be good for almost anything non leather.

someone on here should know about the leather needles.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
yeah i brought some leather needles cant remember the size, but i got them off ebay, they are good but only for leather lol as they do make quite a large hole and in cloth they dont clsoe up. Its good to have a selection of sizes for different weight cloths etc, you dont need to get singer ones though, but basically these old singers are great, with mine which is hand cranked it hasnt failed to sew anything i can wedge under the foot to be honest, just gotta have the right needle in or they just break the tip off

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
oh and i wouldnt bother with the wd40 just oil it with a good quality oil like the sewing machine oil or clipper oil and then just run it fast for a few mins, wipe away the excess and re-oil with just a drop down the oil holes. thats what i do with mine about once a year and its running perfect i dont use it often though

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
one other quick question, what type of thread would you recommend for sewing things like webbing and leather? and does the thicker gauge of this thread pose any problems with the bobbin feed or even threading your needles?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The thicker your thread, the more headaches are likely. IME, For webbing, a No 69 thread is as strong as your machine will probably handle.
I'd stick with the normal gutterman for ease and just put in more stitches.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Gutterman polyester thread is top quality and readily available. Its the best i've used. Like this stuff.

http://www.pfaffmachines.co.uk/sewing-accessories/thread/gutermann-sewing/gutermann-sew-all-thread-982-sunflower.htm

They do heavy duty stuff too which will be fine.

yeah definately use gutterman, its good thread and rot resistant and surprisingly strong, just double up the number of rows of stitching in stress points and it will be fine

oh and something else i thought of if a) you havent used a sewing machine before or b) your machine needs setting up with the top and bottom tensions needing adjustment then load the top bobbin with one colour thread and the bottom bobbin with another colour then practise on some scrap cloth, the 2 different colours will allow you to see if the top or bottom is out of tension or over tensioned etc, ideally you should have the top colour on the top of the cloth and the bottom colour on the bottom of the cloth with none showing through to either side - this would indicate correct tension

apologies if you are aware of all this stuff :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE