A question about oiling wood.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Guys a question for you wood gurus please. My wood seems to become darker at the ends when I oil it. At the moment I'm using Danish oil. Spoons, knife handle etc all seem to absorb the oil differently on the ends of the curve. Am I doing something wrong? I've noticed professionally finished doesn't look like that.

Whadaya all think?

SAM_1030_zps9921aa2b.jpg

SAM_1028_zps6e9a8804.jpg

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I think it's because you sand the ends more so the surface fibers are smoother & thus they absorb more oil........................I rather the like the effect, gives it a used patina look.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The "end grain" of wood will always absorb more oil through soaking up through the capillaries..

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
BR is right, the end grain is like a bundle of tiny hollow pipes that suck the oil in, same as when the tree was alive all the moisture went vertical up those same pipes. Did you use neat oil or did you cut it with turpentine? Thinned oil soaks in better, warmth helps too. Different species of wood absorb oils or stains with greater or lesser amounts of absorbecy. Also it depends wether the wood is very dry or not. I almost always find that any stain or oil when applied wont hide or improve on a poor quality finish, in fact will usually highlight it. I personally prefer to use scrapers to get a fine finish rather than sanding. Simple card scrapers or a knife with the edge turned over for more intricate control, then I usually end up with wire wool rubbing over the oil while it is still wet, then when that has had several coats, and has dried between each application, then a final polish with solvol metal polish. LOL I have done kitchen worktops that way on several ocasions..

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Thanks for the replies guys. I've just been using it neat from the tin. This wood in the pics is for a Svord Peasant. It's Blacknut from a piece of floor sample so it's very dry and hard hard hard. Thought I was going to snap an edge when carving it using the Svord.

Polish with metal polish ya say Mr Dazzler? That sounds a bit mental but I believe ya. I don't actually mind the darker ends. I was curious though as to the cause. As Wolf man says it has a kind of Patina effect.

Cheers. :thanks:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Polish with metal polish ya say Mr Dazzler? That sounds a bit mental but I believe ya. I don't actually mind the darker ends. I was curious though as to the cause. As Wolf man says it has a kind of Patina effect.

Cheers. :thanks:

Try it, it results in a very nice classy patina-but the underlying fine work has to be done well first. If there are dull spots, divets or scartches, the solvol wont hide them, just makes them more obvious. I know its primarily for brass/chrome etc, but I use it a lot on antelope horn as well as wood. After all, its a very fine aluminum oxide paste, I dont know what abrasive grit it equates to, but essentially a very fine liquid sandpaper...Good luck with the svord modification, great little blade I have one myself. I never have liked the handle, maybe I should redo my one..
Cheers Jonathan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE