A place for wild camping with fishing that isn't Scotland ;)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 31, 2014
England
Hi all

Some mates and I are planning a wild camping trip. We hope it will be within a 4 hour drive or Derby, which covers everywhere from Dartmoor to the Lake District and Wales.

We'd also like to go fishing, but it's proving hard to find that secret spot. We're after the real deal: no camp sites or pubs thanks, just somewhere away from it all. I'd like somewhere with stars :)

We've read a lot - all the laws and etiquette. It's just finding somewhere to go that we've got left to do. It's just 4 of us.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Wild camping in England and Wales is mostly illegal so the forum does not encourage open chat on sites/spots etc.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Yes to Dartmoor camping (see various maps/sites for where and when) Probably need to be a member of the fishing club that runs the specific reach, although I stand to be corrected. Some clubs have fixed membership numbers so you can't just join for a week, etc. (I checked a river just over the Tamar from England (teehee)) Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Last edited:

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Also, while I understand the forum cannot be seen to encourage illegal activity, we don't have this problem when we discuss shooting/hunting/fishing/canoeing. We don't have to jump thru hoops to specifically state "I have permission to do this where I did it" except when someone mentions wild camping. I agree that the term stealth camping might be more problematic.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Also, while I understand the forum cannot be seen to encourage illegal activity, we don't have this problem when we discuss shooting/hunting/fishing/canoeing. We don't have to jump thru hoops to specifically state "I have permission to do this where I did it" except when someone mentions wild camping. I agree that the term stealth camping might be more problematic.

I am pretty sure that the view of the forum is if you are going to do something of questionable legality, you don't talk about it on a public google searched forum. Sure, most people on here have bivvi'd under a bush somewhere without permission, left shortly after dawn, and left no trace bar maybe some flattened grass that soon showed no sign. But you don't see us saying that the place to camp is at grid ref QQ1234567891.

I am also pretty sure that most people here don't advertise where they have been poaching (yes, that is what fishing/hunting without permission is).

I have no problem suggesting people bivvi in a stealthy manor (my lowland hiking kit is a camo bivvi bag and camo basha for a reason), but I am not going to say where to do it. We're all adults, we all have the ability to make that judgement.

As for the original poster's question, Have you considered some night fishing from quiet bays along the south coast? Sea fishing is generally a lot less regulated/owned than inland fishing. I am not going to tell you where to go, I'm not going to aid and abet trespass. I'm sure you can read a map...

J

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
I am pretty sure that the view of the forum is if you are going to do something of questionable legality, you don't talk about it on a public google searched forum. Sure, most people on here have bivvi'd under a bush somewhere without permission, left shortly after dawn, and left no trace bar maybe some flattened grass that soon showed no sign. But you don't see us saying that the place to camp is at grid ref QQ1234567891.

I agree, I kinda meant that suggestions of actual locations would naturally be of a legal nature. I was probably being naive and we have to be careful. I stand informed. T^.

As for the original poster's question, Have you considered some night fishing from quiet bays along the south coast? Sea fishing is generally a lot less regulated/owned than inland fishing. I am not going to tell you where to go, I'm not going to aid and abet trespass. I'm sure you can read a map...

J

I wondered myself if they might be close enough to the sea for that. Like camping though, you need to make sure its not a private beach. UNlike camping, fishing from "public" beaches is allowed ( most are technically owned or administered by some one/council). I've been thinking of starting sea fishing and have come across this kind of info. This is from UKseafishing.com ....

3.1 Is a Rod Licence Required?
  ------------------------------
    No licence is required for sport fishing in either UK or Irish saltwater.

3.6 Are there any restrictions on what fish you can catch?
  ----------------------------------------------------------
     Alis Shad are protected. It is illegal to catch & land them.
     (In England, ) Salmon, and Sea Trout require a National River Authority rod licence even if caught in the sea. Without a licence they must be released.

Note that boat fishing rather than beach/pier fishing may have different rules.

I hope that a practising sea fisher-person will post a definitive answer, my examples are just a clumsy attempt to say " you need to find out the details".

monkeywood

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 19, 2014
hull
I've done what your planning many times and Google earth will do you and some common sense but I wouldn't rely on your rod for your dinner!!!! And camping in dunes I find is Ok if you stick to the code and enjoy eating sand but go for it and watch the tides tywyn to Aberdovy ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE