A night out - Coccoons and cooking

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Went for a night out last night, to try out the new coccoon and mainly eat!

Had a last minuite walk in so dark when set up and had to leave early so packed everything away. No pics of the sleep system then but the previous reviews have given excellent reviews so I'll just say I find its warmer, lighter, and quicker to set up, than other combos of sleeping in hamocks and very easy to get in and out of.

I used the method of just lifting the coccoon up off the face using a paracord line along the whole length. I found if I lifted too high above me it was considerably colder, trying to warm all the air up above me, at the same time slightly crushing the bottom insulation.
The line is handy for hanging head torches, books ect from to.

Tea last night was sausages cooked over the fire on sticks, then wrapped in bannock (made with stout and cumin/herb mix) and and finished over the fire. Yum.
On my tod this time so stretched out in front of the fire reading and drinking brews.

Morning, time to crank up the hobo

Breakfast was as ever homemade oatcakes, Bodges recipie, filled with bacon and cheese. :Wow:

Then a cracking walk through local woods to gather birch bark for last month project, late I know, and managed to find some chega/true tinder fungus - Inonotus obliquus. Then off to bother a mate for loads of brews.:D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What have you done with your hobbo ? It looks like it`s sat on a plinth and there`s something extra inside the fuel window aswell, come on spill the beans.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
:D Upside down sweety tin (posh petrol station type bought on holiday) Goes inside hobo to pop the trangia onto when in that mode. When packed the trangia, chain and pot risers all fit inside (right way up) with a space saver cup filled with brew kit, on top. Billy and fry pan/lid outside of this, all in a trouser leg bag!

When burning wood/cones ect the tin goes on the ground upside down, theres a hole in the middle of the base. The hobo goes on top and a hole in this lines up with the tin one.
Tent peg goes through both securing the unit to the ground and stopping fire scar and increases air slightly.

The extra bit in the front was to build a better bed of embers, as I cut it to low first time round and like to use a deep bed of charcoal sometimes, for even cooking and less fuss.

Theres wind sheilds inside too, that adust.

Think thats about it. :)

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
My initial post was a request for pics but a quick search showed a veritable goldmine for a hobo wannahave!

I´m impressed with everyones hobo setups.
Up here we seem to have fallen in love with the trangia stove and then stopped thinking.
One of the things I like best about this forum is the cultural differences in kit and "how to".
There are so many different solutions than the ones I consider "traditional"!

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
My initial post was a request for pics but a quick search showed a veritable goldmine for a hobo wannahave!

I´m impressed with everyones hobo setups.
Up here we seem to have fallen in love with the trangia stove and then stopped thinking.
One of the things I like best about this forum is the cultural differences in kit and "how to".
There are so many different solutions than the ones I consider "traditional"!

The trangia is very handy for that first brew in the morning though;) Just lean over, one match and wait for brew.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I did and yeas they are. If folks like there food wrapped, forget pittas and deli wraps and make some fresh staffordshire oatcakes! loads nicer and no chemicals. They dont store as long so freeze until needed and use in a day or two after de-frosting.

I supose I should be supporting the Derbyshire oatcake, but they dont wrap as well as much thicker, taste very nice though, and we used to pop them under the grill at home and then spread with butter and put poached eggs on top. Very filling.

I also like scottish type oatcakes (like biscuits) with cheese and a suitable beverage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE