A nice new leather case

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I thought I'd try my hand at a bit of modern contemporary leather for a change.
This is essentialy a briefcase, but because it has "D" rings on the sides, it can take a shoulder strap. It also has a removable carry handle so it can become an over the shoulder tool bag, a bushy day bag or an overnight bag.

Made from Italian cow hide which has been re-fatted (it has had the tallow put back in after tanning) so it is firm yet soft and lovely to the touch.

sm-briefcase04.jpg

sm-briefcase03.jpg

sm-briefcase02.jpg

sm-briefcase01.jpg

I might make a few of these to sell on. So, my question to you is.... Whacha fink?
Practical? Manly enough? Bushy possibilities? And finally what sort of money do you recon these could go for?

Thanks for looking,

Eric

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Very smart indeed Eric. You should be very proud of it. Do you have a particular use in mind? Got to be worth £60 at least of anybodies money.Does it have dividers on the inside?goodjob

Last edited:

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
it looks rubbish! - send it to me i'll give you a couple of quid for it! :D

seriously mate it looks great (as does all you produce) I reccon £60 wouldn't be a bad price - in fact you could easily ask for more.... after all small possible pouches go for ~£30

goodjob

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I'm going to make it as multi purpose as possible. I'm not going to dye it though, because it will take on a beautiful patina once the sun starts to oxidise it.

It will have an inner bag that just slips inside, that will be padded from a kip mat and it will become my camera bag. The insert will only be two thirds across though so the other third can accommodate my flask and sarnies.

Without the photography insert, I will also be able to throw all my leather tools in as well and use it to conveniently carry them to various events.

I'll think of other uses for it in due course.

Eric

dkabat579

Jan 24, 2010
New York, USA
Very nicely done, looks like it'll be a great bag. I've had something like that in mind for myself and I was wondering what you did to get the bottom and sides (that single u-shaped piece) to bend at the edges to meet the front and back. Did you wet it when you sewed it to get it to make that tight bend or was the material soft enough to do it dry? Also, what thickness leather did you use?

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Very nicely done, looks like it'll be a great bag. I've had something like that in mind for myself and I was wondering what you did to get the bottom and sides (that single u-shaped piece) to bend at the edges to meet the front and back. Did you wet it when you sewed it to get it to make that tight bend or was the material soft enough to do it dry? Also, what thickness leather did you use?

I worked it round the corners by hand - five stitches at a time. That way the thread holds what you have already done in position and lets you focus on working the next five into position.

The key is to make sure the holes you have awled are open enough for the needles to slip through without disslocating your fingers with the effort of pushing against tough leather that wants to spring out of shape.

The leather is about 3mm thick.

Eric

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
looks good!

if you make more i would say extend the sides by a little bit so that they flap in the bag when its closed, i dunno just to make it more flush if you know what i mean!

thats really nice though, good bit of hand work there, must have taken ages!

pwb

I might make a few of these to sell on. So, my question to you is.... Whacha fink?
Practical? Manly enough? Bushy possibilities? And finally what sort of money do you recon these could go for?

Beautiful work Eric goodjob.

Certainly looks very practical good idea to include the shoulder strap option, see cases carried that way a lot these days, maybe include a strap as well :bluThinki.

As for price, a bespoke hand made case... got to be around the 100 mark at least I would of thought :dunno: .

forestwalker

Nice work. High quality hand made to the right customer set; several hundred quid (once you become a "bespoke brand"). But 100-150 is quite reasonable without any "brand" markup.

Suggestion; add a leather laptop sleeve (as an optional extra).

Biker

Beautiful work Eric goodjob.

As for price, a bespoke hand made case... got to be around the 100 mark at least I would of thought :dunno: .

I agree with this price, maybe £40+ more. That's the sort of bag you buy and use for life and your kids fight over in your will once you've popped your clogs.

Taking into consideration the work time and uniqueness of it you've got to let it go for a respectable value. Anything cheaper and you risk people thinking it's from China and therefore will fall apart in 3 months. But it is difficult to put a value on your own workmanship, I know that :rolleyes:

Really love that case, not my bag ('scuse the pun) to be honest, I prefer the messenger bag style stuff but it looks the biz that's for sure. Quality piece of kit, you should be justly proud of that.

How many hours did you put into it? I'm guessing there's a goodly few. Really hope you make some more and sell 'em.

Last edited:

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
A bit like this then Aaron? Just finished the shoulder strap. It has dog lead clips for easy removal.

sm-briefcase05.jpg

sm-briefcase06.jpg

sm-briefcase07.jpg

sm-briefcase08.jpg

The carrying handle slips off the straps when the shoulder strap is the preferred carry method.

Eric

rancid badger

It amazes me, how people often undervalue hand made items:dunno:

If a decent "possibles pouch" goes for £40-£50, then that thing has to be worth at least £120.

I'd certainly not expect to pay any less for it anyway. The build time alone, makes it £100+, never mind the materials costs.

I like it a lot and wouldn't hesitate to use it.

It's funny; I've been thinking about making a couple of leather thwart bags, for the canoes lately but I've dropped off into "can't be arxxd" mode, due to constant work/domestic commitments:(

As I say; I like it a lot and I hope you can get a few sales:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE