A Nice Looking Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I like the look of this Axe

But has anybody got one if so what are they like?

Not that they're going to admit to.:lmao:
I have a similar one from the profile point of view.It gets stuck occasionally when splitting longer logs,but its a demon at blanking spoons and rough carving. Give it a go and let us know how you rate it.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
I like that axe as well, not sure about the handle though. Lose the sticker and replace the handle with a nice piece of wood and you have yourself a pretty good general purpose hawk. For under 30 quid I don't think you'll go much wrong with this, even if you leave it as is.

Cheers

JFW

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
It reminds me of an old Fireman's Axe a friend used to have very handy for hammering things in.
I always thought the best handles were wood until someone gave me a splitting maul with a fibreglass handle, I was really impressed with it.
It seems to dampen the shock a lot better than a wooden shaft.
The only poser axe I have is a Wetterlings Wildlife Axe (it was going cheap) but this is now gathering dust as someone gave me an old billhook which I find easier to use than the wildlife axe.
One Axe I would like is a Marbles Hunters Axe, if anyone wants to part with one I may be interested.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I think he'd be shot if he did. I'm fairly sure that axe belongs to someone else.

If it is the axe and owner I am thinking of then I think it almost certainly gets used.

Cheers,

Huon

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If it is the axe and owner I am thinking of then I think it almost certainly gets used.

If I remember rightly that's the axe tha Cegga made for British Red as a wedding present. Very nice axe indeed and I bet you're right that it gets used by Red regularly :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is indeed the famed "wedding axe" :)

It has not seen much hard use yet (although I cinfess to a little light splitting) since the wedding is 10 days away yet.

After that though :)

Red

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I handled one of the bahco small axes today, i'm no expert, but the balance was awful, there were cheaper, and better balanced axes in the store.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Hi Red
Sorry, you've lost me on the 'production model' part... :confused: not sure what you mean-?

This axe is well made, practical size, good weight and a solid tool to replace my SFA. I am interested in any equipment, not just sharps, that are well designed and that last as well as function well. I always try to support individuals who create these works of art. I only wish I had the skill !
oh BTW- best wishes for your wedding :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bert,

Just meant it wasn't originally designed to be more than something that interested me from a historical perspective - when Mic' made the original it was a "fun" thing we both enjoyed. I'm delighted the design was something you liked enough to want one like it. I hope you have a lot of pleasue from it. What I meant by a "production model" is we never built a straight helve to fit the eye for example (But I always envisaged a straight helve on a four lugged design). We decided to fit an existing helve rather than have one made (as in the BR axes) - hence the "shape to fit". Just glad you liked it enough to want one like it!

Red

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Gotcha! could quite fathom how the 'production' bit fitted in as this was (as yours) hand made. But you do have good taste! - the shape is spot on as a carving axe- which was the reason I commissioned it. I found the curvature and size of my Gransfor SFA a little too small.
Don't suppose you'll have much use out of yours for awhile eh? !! other things on your mind! :) have a good one!
Don't forget to check the small print :deal: :Wow: :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE