A new tomahawk handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
At the moment I am doing my QFC level and to relieve the pressure of Academia I decided to make a new handle for my 'Hawk.
The head and original handle were obtained from Biker of this Parish and are excellent (if French ...) but I felt I would like a longer handle...
After finding a suitably sized bit of Ash, well seasoned and straight as I could hope for I set to with axe, drawknife, knife, rasps and sandpaper and came up with this ... and some firewood!
Those who have seen me working wood will understand why there is one axe handle and lots of firewood...
Still - I am pretty pleased with the new handle and am in the process of making a leather throat guard for it to match its mask... it will also have a wrist loop - more to stop my hand sliding off the end of the handle than to hold it if I drop the axe :)
with original handle alongside
P2110001.jpg
Alone and unashamed
P2110003.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
How did you decide on a longer handle? Certainly well done. Has it had an effect on your striking accuracy?

I have yet to try the new handle out apart from a couple of swings at my chopping block - but it seems to improve accuracy and power. The edge on the hawk is stunning and bites really well. I will use the short handle for throwing practice - I have two of the short handles as I originally wanted the axe purely as a thrower - but it is a great chopper as well so the extra length (18" top to bottom) makes it more of a practical tool.
I decided on the longer handle as my other hawk has a handle this long and feels good ... but as it is purely decorative (a decorators idea of a pipe hawk I was given ages ago... made of mild steel....) I have never really used it an action apart from waving it at the TV when watching westerns:) :)
Decorators hawk
P2110001 (1).jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks guys :)
I just used the hawk to cut some kindling - the extra length really does make it a better tool to use ... I think I have cut a months supply of kindling... :)

Pantherapardus

Feb 10, 2016
New Zealand
Very Nice! Interesting that you decided to go for the long handle. have you heard of the extra long handles that some native Americans used (apparently) specifically for cavalry combat? as I under stand it the handles could be up to a meter long. I haven't had a crack at something like that but it would be interesting. are you still happy with a longer handle?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE