A new shavehorse.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
I finished a new shavehorse today,the woods were sourced from local copse.
The bench is from Green oak,as is the table and its hinge,the legs are seasoned ash,clamp legs are sycamore all the pins are seasoned Chestnut.
The Planks were cut by steam power and all the rest done by hand with good old fashioned elbow grease and Sheffield steel (hence the blue stains from the tannin reaction to the steel tools).

New shavehorse. by fishfish_01, on Flickr

new shavehorse by fishfish_01, on Flickr

The shave horse is an invaluable tool for 'bodging' ie making stuff by hand from green woods.

thanks for looking.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Very nice mate, makes my recent build look very clinical :) Love the curve in the clamping arms, they give a look of raw power in waiting.
Rob.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Very nice craftsmanship... hopefully you'll put it to good use and post the results :D

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
heres a vid of the set up at a different show owned by Jim and Roy based in newton abbot,they were at the royal bath and west show.
https://videopress.com/v/EXSOZFcX

That's a lovely thing to see. I'm tucked away in a valley of the South Downs, the Weald and Downland Museum is just a few hundred yards away, so I get to see a fair few that come for the show. The good ladys Dad lives in Tollard Royal, it's always epic to see them trundle by on their way to the Dorset fair.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
thanks guys,this is my second one and ime selling it to fund my sons first motor scooter as he turns 16 this week,god knows where the years went!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE