A new face, to bcuk and leatherworking ( and very enthusiastic)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hey everyone, what a wonderfull crowd here at BCUK, and what a lovely forum, it has been a real discovery for me
But let talk bussiness ;), This here is my first knife sheath, i made for my Svante Djarv carving knife, since it didnt have a sheath and I use to carry it around allot. I made some obvious mistakes from which I already learned. On one side my stitching is off because of a badly made DIY awl I used for this, ( made from a nail and a drilled out handle, but the nail kept bending... sad story over there) Now I have something a bit more sturdy.

But still guys give me some tips, I'm working with a new medium over here

DSC05843.jpg

DSC05844.jpg

I would like to let my stitching sink into the design so any pointer on that, would be very welcome.
then here are some shots from my new DIY Awl and the last pic of my sheath ( where you can clearly see its double layer leather and not triple)
DSC05845.jpg

DSC05847.jpg

So please, if you have any pointers (like you wouldnt ^^) please help me out, getting into this new medium
ps will post some of my woodworking later on

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Welcome to the forum. I'm no leatherwork expert (having made only one axe sheath and thats it) but that is a good effort for a first sheath. Looks like you got a nice friction fit for the knife.

THe fact you only made a double layer is quite easily fixed - you seem to have a fair amount of excess at the edge - at least a cm or so - you could unstitch, trim your edge back and place this trimmed edge between the layers, glue in place, a little more trimming, awling and stitching and hey presto - you will have a fully functional sheath that wont come apart on you or your carver!

To sink the stictches in I think you need a stitching groover - a tool that basically cuts a shallow groove a set distance from the edge (which your stitching sits in).

Here is a kit from e-bay i recently added to my wish list - looks like you get all the basics for a pretty reasonable price.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120868048216?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Don't know what the quality will be like however.

Good Luck :)

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Thats a nice job for your first sheath, i agree with totumpole about adding the third layer called a welt it could be done pretty easily and is much safer. also concurr with getting a stitch groover i use mine for every project and it really helps protect the stitches from rubbing

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks a million Totumpole, one question though
If you have a triple layer, do you just layer them on top of each other and drive your awl through, or do you make the holes one by one in each layer?
And Dreadhead, thanks for that insight, cause at first I just thought it would look nice, but hey I guess experience is the best teacher ^^

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
you could also seal the edges by rubbing spit on the edges and rubbing/burnishing with something very smooth like a piece of bone or wood. i use the red plastic on my swiss army knife. takes some time but puts a nice clean edge on

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE