A new axe for Christmas

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
Hello folks,

Been a long time since I've posted on the forum but I've cleared it with the wife and it's go, go, go for axe this Christmas (for me, not for her).
I've been looking into two models and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice (preferably educated hoho!)

Obviously the GB Small Forest Axe is in the line up - only heard good things about this axe, in fact the only reason I'm looking at an axe that isn't the GB SFA is because I'm being a bit snobby.

The other one that has caught my eye is pretty much the same size/weight - it's the Hults Bruks/Hultafors Classic Forest Axe - the bit shape looks different and the poll is rounded for flaying game...

Anyone got any experience with the HB? Should I just go with the tried and tested GB?

Cheers lads and ladies.

Doc

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
What will you be using it for? Cutting firewood? Green woodworking? Limbing trees? Will you be backpacking with the axe, using it at home, or taking it in a car to campsites?

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I currently own around 30+ axes. Both the axes in your shortlist are good quality tools. So really it's just down to personal choice.

I like the GB axes but I also really like the range of husquana(sp) axes.

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
Cheers Wayne - that was pretty much the answer I was hoping for, didn't think there could be too much disparity between the axes main functions as they're almost identical. Sitll you never know 'till you ask right?

MrCharly - don't really get some of those questions - I'm planning on using it for light felling, limbing, shaping wood, prepping firewood, chopping the heads & feet off of chickens (dead and plucked) etc etc. As for bag/boot/home - both axes are the same length so it's not like one will fit and one won't - with the half meter handle none of them are going to be used for bowl carving if that's what you're getting it (If this reads as me being really moody, I'm not)

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Well if you'd replied that you wanted to do some roughing out for carving, I'd say the GB carving axe (based on a friend's comments; he says it's the only axe he uses now). The axe head shape allows you to choke up on the head so the long handle isn't an issue.
I asked about carrying because if you are backpacking with it, then weight matters. If it is a stay at home axe, then get a full-sized beater cheap axe.

If you are rich, then this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-EJ6zKBP4e-g/TsO0DkclJaI/AAAAAAAADqY/5GGUfrcWtZs/s320/IMG_8429.jpg

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
Well my Gransfors Small Forest Axe turned up today, fully emblazoned with Ray Mears name down the side of the handle courtesy of the folks from Woodlore.
After giving my 15 mins to inspect the head alignment and the grain on the handle etc (and give the axe a little cuddle) my wife packed it back away in it's box and has hidden it in a cupboard until Christmas.

Cheers for the input guys

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE