A Moveable Feast

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If you need to travel fast but you do not have the time to cook, or access to water to boil, you can bring prepared rations.

Here Adnan, a former Airborne sergeant, is showing how to make a bushcraft container for a ‘boil in the bag’ rice meal.

Once the woven pouch is finished, the second panel on the side can be moved aside and rice, and other things like jerky or curried meat, put inside.

The container is filled partially, then placed in boiling water. The rice expands as it is cooked and fills up the remaining space and presses against the coconut leaf weave and seals it tight... Several pouches can be tied together with the long strands of leaf or secured to a pack. Each contains enough rice for a meal.

If kept dry, the rice will keep for several days especially if glutinous rice is used which helps with sealing the pouch shut. The contents are already sterilized by the cooking process.

To eat, just take a knife out and cut through the pouch. Meals Ready to Eat.

The remains are 100% bio-degradable.

The essence of real bushcraft.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
That was superb. It starts off really slowly and he just seems to be shuffling the fronds along before he starts, but then suddenly a container's forming! Very clever.

BOD

Someone asked over on Paleo for a photo of the finished containers.

These were done by someone else and have not been filled

P5100420.jpg

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
This looks a very neat way of doing things but I dont really have access to coconut trees,

any ideas for an alternative?

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Yucca or Cornish palm ( cordyline australis ) might do it, sorry they don't grow well up there do they I'll give it a go and see if it works and let you know.
Question is are Yucca and Cornish palm safe to cook in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE