A Mixed Weekend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Quite a busy time this weekend. No real bushcraft but what the hey!

Friday evening, arrived home from work ready for the weekend. Package from Axminster waiting for me containing a hook/crook knife. Not really had a chance to play yet but it looks very good - better than my modified grapefruit knife anyway. After tea Elaine Michael and I went off to do a couple of local geocaches. Very pleasnt.

Saturday. Off to Thetford area and maybe beyond to do some more geocaching. Family picnic packed into Discovery. Cacheing gear in a respirator bag (plus matches, firesteel, etc).
First cache, at a memorial to the Dessert Rats, done by about midday so a quick look thru the sheets we had with us reveals a cache in the woods at Holkham Hall, near Wells, so of we go. I think we got the very last parking place at Wells and set off to do the cache, which took about 45 mins. The rest of the day was on the beach and in the sea. A pub meal at the Ark Royal in Wells rounded the day off. The weather was glorious all day.

Sunday started wet and overcast, so I spent most of the day sorting my spare room out to turn it into an office, now that I'm going to set up as a self employed design consultant. Finished off with a couple of beers watching some film on Scatterlite tv.

Monday back to work for a bit more of my notice period!

Dave

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
bothyman said:
What are geocaches??

Think I uderstand the geo bit, but what is the cache?? a stash of something?? is it some sort of Treasure Hunt. :?:
Geocaching is a hi-tech treasure hunt game where players use a GPS to find stashes hidden by other.

Lots more on geocaching at www.geocaching.com

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Not a lot of bushy craftiness for me, either. I spent most of the weekend either in the cage or out in the garden.

The kids are off with their grandparents, so on Saturday we (wife and I) drove down to see them, taking wife's auntie with us. Five hour drive. Then off in Father-in-law to buy a sand-pit and 100kg of sand, so my daughter stops digging in the earth.

Barbecue and lounging around in the garden, a bit of sawing apple wood into small chunks for making toggles.

Sunday was a bit of the same, with a drive back to the city, bringing a friend back with us.

We'll be back there for the third week of August; maybe I'll build up my HT furnace again. I'd better find my pieces of D2 and get shaping this week!

Keith.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Warning to Bothyman!

Geocaching is VERY ADDICTIVE!! I tried it with a borrowed GPS the first time I took the family out. In the car on the way home Elaine told me to go on the web and order one of our own. Its great fun too so go for it! It takes you to places you wouldn't ordinarily think of going, usually with a bit of history or local interest.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE