A little red one

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
This is another of those knives that seem to have the ability to determine their own shape. When I started out on this, I really didn't envisage it ending up looking like this!

Anyway, the sharp bit is 85mm, the red bit is 95mm, so overall its 180mm. 3mm'ish thick. The leather bit is buffalo. There are very thin black leather liners. The wood is supposed to be Yew, but it doesn't work like Yew and, in my opinion, is too red to be Yew, but I'm ready to be put right if any of you guys do recognise it. I don't remember Yew having such an 'open' grain either.

Anyway, here it is.

red1.jpg

red2.jpg

red3.jpg

red4.jpg

red5.jpg

red6.jpg

How about £40.00 to your door.

As usual, no under 18's please

Last edited:

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
Does Paduak also have a yellowish, creamish, sapwood, coz this stuff does! That's another reason I don't think this is Yew, I've got a lump of it that must have come from a 1000 year old tree to have got the circumference this has got.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Does Paduak also have a yellowish, creamish, sapwood, coz this stuff does! That's another reason I don't think this is Yew, I've got a lump of it that must have come from a 1000 year old tree to have got the circumference this has got.

Yes it does have a creamy coloured sapwood, very contrasting in fact. Once the red wood has been exposed to daylight for a while it darkens down to a rich brown colour like Mahogany, but if kept covered it remains red. Put a shaving of it on the window sill and another one in a drawer and compare the colour difference after a week.

Good luck with the sale buddy.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
Cheers, mate, that must be what it is. I know Yew does grow that big, but they don't usually release huge gert slabs of it to us at this end of the foodchain...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE