A little bit of Garden Archery

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You would have been is so much bother if you'd gotten one of the feathery chooks :D

It crossed my mind that you were after a hen for Sunday lunch tbh ;)

cheers,
M

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
i have shot a long bow a few times but i,m well used to me recurve bow with sights !! how does the flat bow compare for aiming at the target ?? are you straight on it with the aid of the cut out arrow rest ??or a bit to the side ???:)

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
i have shot a long bow a few times but i,m well used to me recurve bow with sights !! how does the flat bow compare for aiming at the target ?? are you straight on it with the aid of the cut out arrow rest ??or a bit to the side ???:)

I don't aim using the bow at all. I am only looking at the target and nothing else. It is the instinctive form of archery.

This explains it a bit

http://www.tavistock-archers.org.uk/instinctive.html

It is not as consistently accurate as using sights but I find it more satisfying.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
I don't aim using the bow at all. I am only looking at the target and nothing else. It is the instinctive form of archery.

This explains it a bit

http://www.tavistock-archers.org.uk/instinctive.html

It is not as consistently accurate as using sights but I find it more satisfying.

Interesting, I find myself doing the same thing but I usually call it "More luck than judgement" at least I can now give it a better name.

MikT

Rob_Beek

Forager
Dec 19, 2009
Crewe
Sold, i'm getting one!
How much practice until i can hit a pigeon in a tree at 40 yards? i saw loads when i woke up in the woods this morning just sitting in a tree, waiting to be eaten.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Nice vids, I have the same bow, 45lb at 28 inches and love it. I think tomorrow afternoon will be spent in the garden. Difficult to tell from the vids but what range were you at?

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
How much practice until i can hit a pigeon in a tree at 40 yards? i saw loads when i woke up in the woods this morning just sitting in a tree, waiting to be eaten.

You'll have plenty of time to practise. As long as it takes for them to change the law and allow hunting with a bow :) Plus I am not sure you want to be shooting up at anything. What goes up must come down and all that.

Nice vids, I have the same bow, 45lb at 28 inches and love it. I think tomorrow afternoon will be spent in the garden. Difficult to tell from the vids but what range were you at?

I have the same one at 45# as well. I got it as I was finding getting used to the 55# was taking time but true to form after using the 45# for less than a week I found the 55# manageable. The 45# is now the one I use to lend friends who want a shot.

The range was not very far. Probably about 9 meters or thereabouts.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
That was funny. :)

My dad and I were out in the garden at the weekend and the cat was doing the same thing, casualy wandering into the danger area without a care in the world. :rolleyes:

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
When shooting in the garden I now have to make damn sure the dogs are inside and the doors locked. Lets just say there was a very narrow escape once upon a time.

Frazer

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2009
Highlands
Noooo stop making me want to get back into archery when I can't afford it :p

Always wanted a longbow too, even if they are english ;)

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Any legal aspects about shooting arrows in the garden ? Do you have a solid backstop or wall or something behind the target ? Our property is surrounded by low stone walls so I am pretty nervous about loosing an arrow in the garden. I discovered that arrows ricochet off hard ground......

NS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE