A lesson relearnt.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
I did a bit of tool maintainence a few days ago. Gave my axe a clean up, recoating the shaft with boiled linseed oil, oiling the head and giving the sheath a polish. After oiling it, I hung it on a branch in my garden to dry. It was at this point I wandered off to do a few more of those chores, where I promptly forgot about my axe........

Cue a thunderstorm overnight followed by two days of +20c dry heat. All the while my faithful axe was left exposed to the elements. Twas this evening that I remembered about my axe! I cursed and leapt off the sofa, almost running into the garden. There I found my axe just where I had left it. But what sorry condition is it in now?! I grabbed it off the tree and marched back into the house to see the damage. Careful inspection revealed...... nothing. It was fine. Spotless. Phew! thank our Lord.

What a silly mistake to make. I had left an extremely important and valuable (not in the money sense of the word!) tool hanging from a tree for three days. I got distracted and forgot about it. Imagine if I did that while out on a trip? I could of lost my axe, or, even in my garden, it could of been damaged by time, wind and rain.

Lesson relearnt.......

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
You wouldn't forget out on a trip though would you? Or would you? Or could you?

If you relied on your axe to survive, there is no way you'd leave it hanging somewhere and forget about it... but besides, a bit of rain and wind isn't going to do much to your axe in 24 hours. If it does, you have a sh!t axe.

I've left my axe in the garden, in the driveway and I stuck it in a cupboard for 4 months. I made the axe myself and I know that if the surface is damaged, I can clean it up and revive it.

In short, don't be drama queen... your axe won't die because of mild heat. It won't rust away in 24 hours of rain, and as I say if it does, get a new axe. You have one that isn't worth keeping.

I see on another subject (tents for dogs) you keep dogs inside too!! :) and now I learn you keep axes inside.

Tell me, if you are out in the countryside there and you spend the night out where does the axe live?

Some years back my hunting partner broke his axe shaft when we were on our trap lines in the late winter when the sap is rising. Out of necessity he used fresh timber to make new one. As always he left it outside on a big tree where it wouldn't get buried if it snowed. It didn't snow but the night must have been really cold - maybe - 30 or more below and the shaft completely split with a sharp crack.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
In short, don't be drama queen... your axe won't die because of mild heat. It won't rust away in 24 hours of rain, and as I say if it does, get a new axe. You have one that isn't worth keeping.

I wasn't being a drama queen. I was attempting to get across a point that by being distracted, I forgot about my axe. To be honest, I was expecting some light surface rust and a wet shaft but not much else. To find it in good condition was a nice surprise.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I meant it a bit tongue in cheek, but it doesn't exactly read like that now I've reread it... apologies.

But my point was it won't suffer getting a bit wet, and if it does you probably need a better axe.

Again, sorry if I caused any offence, wasn't intentional.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I see on another subject (tents for dogs) you keep dogs inside too!! :) and now I learn you keep axes inside.

Tell me, if you are out in the countryside there and you spend the night out where does the axe live?

Some years back my hunting partner broke his axe shaft when we were on our trap lines in the late winter when the sap is rising. Out of necessity he used fresh timber to make new one. As always he left it outside on a big tree where it wouldn't get buried if it snowed. It didn't snow but the night must have been really cold - maybe - 30 or more below and the shaft completely split with a sharp crack.

You keep your axes outside!......why?

Agree about the dogs though, always keep them outside

Jun 22, 2016
Texas, USA
I have always tried to impress upon my boys the need to care for their tools. When each got their license, one of the first things I did was buy them a decent tool set. We work on their cars together, and I have them help me with mine. I am very clear that they are to clean their tools when done, and return them to the proper drawers. You don't need to buy the 'best' of everything, as the average tools will often function just as well, and last just as long, as long as you take care of them!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE