A knife for all seasons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
From Mr Mark Hill, aka HillBill, a Maker in this here bushcraft parish of ours.
100mm well thought out blade which is as happy prepping your bunny as it is wood carving.
Weighing in at 250 grams, it's just right IMHO- it's not too light and heavy enough for some serious business if needed. Good balance too. Handle fits like a glove.
Jimping deep enough to prevent slippage whether blade used on downwards or upwards cutting.
Top marks for this Maker from me- heartily recommended :35: Good communications throughout-Nice work Mark!
Put your order in as I foresee that these will become a 'simply must have' item and before the waiting list grows!
No connection with seller aside from being a very satisfied customer.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
From Mr Mark Hill, aka HillBill, a Maker in this here bushcraft parish of ours.
100mm well thought out blade which is as happy prepping your bunny as it is wood carving.
Weighing in at 250 grams, it's just right IMHO- it's not too light and heavy enough for some serious business if needed. Good balance too. Handle fits like a glove.
Jimping deep enough to prevent slippage whether blade used on downwards or upwards cutting.
Top marks for this Maker from me- heartily recommended :35: Good communications throughout-Nice work Mark!
Put your order in as I foresee that these will become a 'simply must have' item and before the waiting list grows!
No connection with seller aside from being a very satisfied customer.

I really do like the look of that. Cracking knife. Beautiful. Nice work. [How much for an RWL 34 version? If thats not too nosey? :eek:]

I used to have a bayley raven.

I dont know how people can have 'draw queens'

I was absolutely dying to use it, but I dare not, as it was in pristine condition, and I didnt want to devalue it!
They were commanding such high prices, that a few signs of use, could have devalued it by £100-£200!
Dilemma! Looking at it, but never getting to use it properly! It was doing my 'ead in!
So I flogged it for an extortionate sum!
[It seems Marks knives are inspired by the bayley knives?]

Here's a couple of photos of the Bayley Raven I briefly owned, just to show it in comparison.

Untitled-6.jpg
[/URL]

Untitled-4.jpg
[/URL]

Untitled-9.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yes they are inspired by Rob Bayleys S4, and made with his permission.

Mine has a similar blade profile, but the handle shape is different, i base mine on the handle shape i use on my SPB1 and SPB1+ models, i put jimping on the spine ( though the jimping on this one isnt perfect as i tried it on my milling machine and it didn't come out as intended, normally use a dremel) It also has a protrusion at the rear like the fallkniven F1. Also my bolster is slightly different in that it doesnt extend past the spine or the base of the blade, as do Robs. I also use the orange liners and my grind comes higher up the blade (shallower angle) to thin the steel out a bit more nearer the edge.

This one is in RWL/G10 so its made from the same materials as Robs are.

I charge £290 for the knife and sheath. :)

Couple more pics

I really do like the look of that. Cracking knife. Beautiful. Nice work Mark. [How much? If thats not too nosey? :eek:]

I used to have a bayley raven.

I dont know how people can have 'draw queens'

I was absolutely dying to use it, but I dare not, as it was in pristine condition, and I didnt want to devalue it!
They were commanding such high prices, that a few signs of use, could have devalued it by £100-£200!
Dilemma! Looking at it, but never getting to use it properly! It was doing my 'ead in!
So I flogged it for an extortionate sum!
It seems Marks knives are inspired by the bayley knives?

What are the main differences between the Bayley knives and HillBills?
Would Hillbill be charging a similiar amount, to Rob Bayley, if using the same materials? I.E. RWL34?

Thanks

Here's a couple of photos of the Bayley Raven I briefly owned, just to show it in comparison to Marks.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yes they are inspired by Rob Bayleys S4, and made with his permission.

Mine has a similar blade profile, but the handle shape is different, i base mine on the handle shape i use on my SPB1 and SPB1+ models, i put jimping on the spine ( though the jimping on this one isnt perfect as i tried it on my milling machine and it didn't come out as intended, normally use a dremel) It also has a protrusion at the rear like the fallkniven F1. Also my bolster is slightly different in that it doesnt extend past the spine or the base of the blade, as do Robs. I also use the orange liners

This one is in RWL/G10 so its made from the same materials as Robs are.

I charge £290 for the knife and sheath. :)

Well that seems like a cracking deal then. I think I sold that bayley one for about 3x that amount. Plus tbh youre handle shape looks preferable.
Damn that is so tempting....:red:

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Can we just get one thing straight people... it's "Drawer Queen" not "Draw Queen" (as in chest of drawers, a single drawer is a drawer). I've seen a number of people doing this recently (Established Journo's included).

:rant::p

Sorry - been winding me up. That is all.

Great knife.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Go on Dave .... you know you want to....:eek:

You're a lucky man! If I was gonna get another knife, I think I'd probably go for one of these.
I've never used rwl34 in anger.
I'd like to know how much more abuse it would take than my 01 carbon. Battoning and such.
I think my technique must be more ham handed than most, as most people swear they just strop them, after each use, but 90% of the time, I have to spend 30-40 minutes on the stones, after Ive used mine.
So maybe one of these would suit me better.

Get a review up!

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Can we just get one thing straight people... it's "Drawer Queen" not "Draw Queen" (as in chest of drawers, a single drawer is a drawer). I've seen a number of people doing this recently (Established Journo's included).

:rant::p

Sorry - been winding me up. That is all.

Great knife.

:lmao:I realised Id done that, and thought, oh! I should change that, as whenever I see grammatical or spelling errors, they have the same effect on me.

I'll leave it there just to bug ya. :D

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Already one been done Dave, same knife, same steel, same heat treatment, just a different colour G10 for the handle. :)

[video=youtube;G1_eRCFbfbM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1_eRCFbfbM[/video]

You're a lucky man! If I was gonna get another knife, I think I'd probably go for one of these.
I've never used rwl34 in anger.
I'd like to know how much more abuse it would take than my 01 carbon. Battoning and such.
I think my technique must be more ham handed than most, as most eople swear they just strop them, after each use, but 90% of the time, I have to spend 30-40 minutes on the stones, after Ive used mine.
So maybe one of these would suit me better.

Get a review up!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE