A Hard Decision-Sell up or rent?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Get it sold girl!
Finish that declutter off properly, and use the cash to set yourself up properly where you want to be.
Makes more sense than hanging on to something that your not using.
Renting out is a lot of hassle if you are so far away that you can't keep a good eye on it.
Sell, and use the cash wisely to improve your present situation.
The memories will always be there, and someone else can benefit from the use of the house more than you, and make their own memories.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Get it sold girl!
Finish that declutter off properly, and use the cash to set yourself up properly where you want to be.
Makes more sense than hanging on to something that your not using.
Renting out is a lot of hassle if you are so far away that you can't keep a good eye on it.
Sell, and use the cash wisely to improve your present situation.
The memories will always be there, and someone else can benefit from the use of the house more than you, and make their own memories.
Agreed.

My parents had such a terrible experience renting that they just left the house empty for a few decades until they were willing to sell it.

As for where young people will live, my same concern....me and the family have been camping out in an agricultural building for the last 14 years...have only in the last 4 years got ownership and now going down the expense renovation path, with the idea of future proofing the building so that our two children have somewhere to live with there families.

The main question here is there living links in area where your house is that are important to you?

From viewing and being involved with my parents rental / second home issues, I would sell.

Reactions: GreyCat

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
From what I can remember, you have not lived there permanently for some time. The costs of new heating alone will be thousands, what else needs doing? If its been empty with no heating for some time, there will be damp and probably all sorts of other things that will cost to put right. Do you actualy have the cash to sort all that out so it can be legally rented? Insurance, repairs etc.
You can still go back to your dads if things don't work out, so you have a safety net.
It's a big responsibility being a landlady.
Don't hang on to the past, let go, and live your best life in Scotland if it's where you want to be.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The more I think about this Tengu and with no disrespect intended - it does take a sort of person to be a Landlord - or maybe to choose to be a landlord and not let it get them down whilst dealing with the various nuances , criteria , hoopjumping, moderation of expectation , disappointments , dealing with trades, tenants, letting agent accounts and everything that can mar the experience.

It feels like you're being sort of forced into making the decision ( Should I keep or should I sell ) - rather than when a person Decides to actively and willingly go into property investment without it impeding their life trajectory.

That being said - alot of Landlords do get into the property game ( for a time.. ) from being in similar position to yourself or inheriting property.

As such I think you as advised either need to sell and reset your life up back up north or rethink your future life and get a job closer to the house - if thats what you want.

It is just bricks and mortar at the end of the day.
Equally in saying that - I now consider if one has a roof over their head in this day and age that is their own -one is lucky and privileged.

I wouldn't want to have to make your decision personally.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Tengu, your opening statement says it all.

My life in England is over.

Sell, start again. While it's a scary process, you are opening new doors and need to close the old ones behind you.
I understand that you are reluctant and think that keeping the house gives you a safe retreat if things don't go as you think, but I've lost two houses over the years, and had to start from scratch again both times.
While it does not feel great at the time, it always opens up new opportunities that progress your life onto bigger and better things. Life doesn't stay still. Take the plunge and embrace your new life fully.xx

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I thought the rental market is going to be a big issue in this parliament and landlords are selling up their portfolio because of expected changes and indeed changes already made. It is not a landlord's market right now I think.

It is probably best to make sure where your life needs to be and sort out accomodation there. If that is near your house then keep and live in it. If not then seriously think hard about accepting your life as it is now and move on. That involves selling up your old house. Suggest sooner rather than later. If landlords are really going to get clobbered by legislation changes as the industry bodies seem to be saying I think, well they are going to sell up too making the housing marketplace potentially dropping a bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE