A Hard Decision-Sell up or rent?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
My life in England is over, I am planning on moving to Fair Alba permanently.

(Scottish people; please do not look so smug)...

So, will have to sell or rent my house.

If I rent, I will at lest not burn all my bridges. (If I sell, I will never be able to get a house in my very desirable village ever again...)

But I will need to work on it; starting with a new Central Heating.

But what is best?

And can I get grants?

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
If you move to Scotland, are you ever planning on moving back to your very desirable village in the future? If yes, rent it. If no, sell it. Will you rent in Scotland or buy? If renting, the income from renting the English house will pay the rent for your Scotland house. If buying, you'll have a tidy deposit.

I suppose this is a case of 'c*ap or get off of the pot'. Procrastination is the killer of dreams.

Sent from my SM-A546B using Tapatalk

haptalaon

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2023
South Wales
My life in England is over, I am planning on moving to Fair Alba permanently.

(Scottish people; please do not look so smug)...

So, will have to sell or rent my house.

If I rent, I will at lest not burn all my bridges. (If I sell, I will never be able to get a house in my very desirable village ever again...)

But I will need to work on it; starting with a new Central Heating.

But what is best?

And can I get grants?
Being a landlord is a job with a lot of responsibility, because you're providing someone with a roof - it's not something you can half-bottom. If the ceiling comes in and you're £10,000 to fix it in the middle of winter, it's not ah optional expenditure, it's someone's home.

So think about whether you will have the time, mindset and extra resources to run a small business.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Being a landlord is a job with a lot of responsibility, because you're providing someone with a roof - it's not something you can half-bottom. If the ceiling comes in and you're £10,000 to fix it in the middle of winter, it's not ah optional expenditure, it's someone's home.

So think about whether you will have the time, mindset and extra resources to run a small business.

Good advice

Tengu - you need to be honest about IF you property needs anything to make it rentable? is it all upto where it needs to be ? could you rent it and does the rent cover the mortgage? certain villages are lovely to live in but the rents can fall far behind the more urbanized market.

If you want to send me your postcode of your property and address I can do some market research and tell you what I think. I've ( counts fingers, counts toes and other growths ) been a landlord for 25+ years.

Reactions: C_Claycomb

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I have met sooooo many people trapped in London because they are scared to let go. They know that once they sell a London property it will be very hard to get back. Their responses to - “Why on Earth would you want to?” - got various responses.

How much of your rental income would be taken by a managing agent?

Finance is all very well but what you are talking about is your home. Can you find your home in Scotland?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
About thirty years ago I had a property in Plymouth which I'd bought for my wife to be, to use while she was working on a contract there. During the life of her contract I did quite a bit of work on the place. When she took her next contract it was in Bath, and I had the choice of selling the place in Plymouth at a very substantial profit, or renting it out.

As I was fond of sailing, and I had a yacht anchored in the Tamar, I thought it would make sense to rent the property out for a while.

I put it in the hands of a well-known local estate agent, both to manage the rental and to handle the maintenance for me as well.

The fees were a bit extra for the maintenance but I thought it was worth it for peace of mind, knowing that I wouldn't have to dash there to mend a broken light switch if I was working in Los Angeles -- which was the sort of thing that I was doing at the time; I was the guy that [famous company*] called on to make Websites work with all the different browsers of the day. [*] Sorry, non-disclosure agreement.

Well that was the worst property decision I've ever made, and I've made a few.

The agent flat out lied about everything they ever did, which was in fact practically nothing. When after five years I went to visit the property because I started getting letters from bailiffs about it, I found it was in an unbelievable state. I never knew nor met any of the tenants, but whoever they were at least some of them had been running criminal enterprises using a number of false names, making bogus loan agreements, and not paying any bills at all. Bailiffs had actually broken into the place and left a window hanging off its hinges, but the totally false reports from the agent claimed that everything was in good order. One of my businesses used to run a 3.5 tonne long wheelbase high roof Renault Master van, and from the property I took away in that van three very full loads of rubbish. The mess was just indescribable.

I fired the agent, tidied up the property as best I could, and sold it for what seemed like little more than it would have fetched five years earlier.

My advice if you're thinking of renting out a property is that you MUST be able to keep an eye on it yourself. I have friends who rent out property, but they go round to them personally, ostensibly to collect the rent but it's really because they can take a quick peek at the same time. I'd say you need to be there at least every month. If you're in Scotland I don't see how you would be able to do that. You can't just turn up unannounced and demand to look around the place - "quietly enjoy" it says in the contract. Getting a bad tenant out is a nightmare even now and it's going to get worse.

Think very long and very hard about it.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'd also add I know quite a few people who've had trouble with their tenants, so do you have the time for that.

It is also very likely more legislation will make a landlords job harder.

Reactions: Paul_B and TeeDee

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Do you have the spare £20,00 to £30,00 or even more to bring your house up to where it meets modern standards for renting it. Renters will expect central heating, double glazing, proper insulation along with a decent kitchen and bathroom. Then you'll need to get it carpeted and decorated throughout. In addition to all that do the electrics meet modern standards? If not then you may well have to have the house re-wired.

Also, remembering some of your previous posts you mentioned your garden was extremely overgrown so that will need to be cleared and landscaped properly to attract renters so that will add to the bill.

Bear in mind to maximise your profit if you do sell you might have to drop a significant amount of money on the above repairs, that or accept offers considerably under the market rate due to the amount of work required.

Reactions: TeeDee

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
There’s a psychological freedom in being able to take the memories of a place, holding on to them and enjoying them simply as memories, and letting go of the physical connection.

Life’s too short. Nothing lasts forever and you never truly lose it if you are able to fondly recall it for the rest of your innings.

Reactions: Stew and TeeDee

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Bear in mind to maximise your profit if you do sell you might have to drop a significant amount of money on the above repairs, that or accept offers considerably under the market rate due to the amount of work required.
I think in most cases you wouldn't make any money in improving the house before selling it. Declutter, clean, clear the garden yes but doing anything like improving the kitchen or major repairs I doubt it. A good agent should be able to advise.

Reactions: 66jj99 and TeeDee

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I’ve had a friends in the same boat, they opted for the rental option.

In the two years they rented it I changed the locks at least 3 times, fixed endless clogged pipes and cleaned more mould than I care to remember.
I think this current mob in the building with the big clock will hit the landlords pretty hard too.

If the property is currently vacant my experience is that winter could hit it hard.

If you own the property my experience is that you could sell it and buy a decent property in Scotland

Reactions: Ozmundo and TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'd also add I know quite a few people who've had trouble with their tenants, so do you have the time for that.

It is also very likely more legislation will make a landlords job harder.
Very very true - the rental game and regs are definitely changing and in a very particular direction.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My parents suffered similar problems with agents and tenants and had to redecorate their flat in Folkstone twice in the three years it was let - the place was left a tip on both occasions. They finally decided to quit and ended up with negative equity.

Don't delay, get rid today :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
My experience of letting agents is that they are only good for finding a tenant -beyond that , I've never had an amazing experience - just an experience.

Some have been better , some have been terrible.

I use a letting agent to manage a property in Wales but thats more because the bureaucracy surrounding renting to tenants in Wales seems to be ever changing and needs an on site interpreter of the everchanging legal criteria to be up to scratch.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, thats all very interesting.

Seeing as young folk seem reluctant/unable to get on the property ladder, and the Councils dont seem to be building council houses....

...Where are folk going to live?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
...Where are folk going to live?
Same as some of us did in the past? I've lodged with friends and work colleagues, lived in bedsits and very poor rental accommodation. That meant I wasn't in too much debt and I could save a deposit for a house.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Sell as is with a reduced selling price & even after agent & soliciter's fees, you should be left with a nice little nest egg, which will increase your options further down the line, as well as giving you peace of mind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE