A Gathering of Spoons

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
For my recent birthday I was given this fantastic book:

"A Gathering of Spoons: The Design Gallery of the World's Most Stunning Wooden Art Spoons"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gathering-S...388659038&sr=8-1&keywords=gathering+of+spoons

Being a bit of a compulsive spoon carver now, this will be a reference source for my future projects. On a whim I e-mailed the author and asked him if he is still collecting; the upshot is that I am going to make him a spoon and send it over the pond.

I am a bit daunted at the prospect; my amateur effort will be in some serious company!

It will be a good challenge though; I have already found a nice windfall piece to use and have an idea of the design. If ever he produces a second edition I might be in it!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I'm well under way with this project now; I am on the final sanding before oiling stage.

The wood is a piece of beech which I cut from this beauty:

vGtuPLNl.jpg

This tree has a long history of couples marking their time beneath its canopy and I like the human story that connects to it.

Before you get too upset about me harvesting from it, this is what it looks like now ::(

Ox9Sgzll.jpg

That particular spot on the path was a little covert containing 3 lovely big beeches; they all came down. I also have another piece which I will use to make a keeper to remind me of that place and the many times we've walked past it.

Am I just a soppy old tree hugger or do some of you get what I mean?

I'll post the finished work before I send it across the pond.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
It is a fascinating book; the author thinks of spoon carving as an art form and when you see the contents you can see how creative some of the makers have been.

My humble effort is now finished; I shall probably post the pics tomorrow (Friday).

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Well, here fresh from the camera is the finished effort. I rather like it; beech is an interesting wood to work, especially in the way the grain shows itself.

Now to get on with the next one!

1EkeDiWl.jpg

z0jHvDOl.jpg

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Fine spoon, especially with that history. When you send it, I think you should include the history of the wood too, as it adds provenance to the spoon.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Fine spoon, especially with that history. When you send it, I think you should include the history of the wood too, as it adds provenance to the spoon.

Thanks!

I already wrote a biography of me and the wood and e-mailed it to the author; I doubt if there will be another print edition but at least a piece of my work is in fine company.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Hi everyone,
that's a nice spoon stringmaker . What have you used to oil it with? You should be proud of it. Shame about the tree that it came from though.
Regards Chris.

Hi Chris,

I used Tung Oil, like I do on all my spoons. It was the first food safe recommendation I found when I began making spoons and I've still got the can. I plan to go back to the tree at some point and take a larger piece to try a kuksa and another spoon.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
I know that book/author! He's got one of my spoons! I'm not sure why he wanted my amateur efforts though! I got sent a mini-magazine showing part of his collection. Some pretty amazing stuff in there, real artistry! I reckon my spoons got to be one of the shoddiest in his collection!
Your spoon looks very good to me, it might not be as intricate as some of the one's he's got, but I only saw them as fiddly and prefer yours!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Thanks and good for you!

I think the whole project is brilliant; that book is really a catalogue of an art colelction. I doubt very much if he'll do a second edition but he is going to do a write up on me and my effort and send me the draft so it might appear somewhere.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Norman Stevens, the author of the book this thread refers to sent me this book:

YrXwOrul.jpg

hPRvPJ2l.jpg

Dan has a somewhat different philosophy to his spoon making in that he soaks the burrs/roots for years in water before he works them. When the piece is finished he thens boils it slowly in a wax/oil mixture to produce the finish you see here. He says the average elapsed time from wood to finished piece can be 6 years!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE