A French Woodburner

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Found this rusty old thing at an antiques places in Mid Wales last weekend. The place was shut and this was just stood outside. I rather liked it, but suspect that even after a lot of work it might not be useable, and I don't really have a use for it anyway. It was just one of those things that caught my eye and I thought maybe one or two on here would like it too.

16515938051_d4e969142b_b.jpg

More information about this sort of woodburner here.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Well spotted Mary indeed it is.

Hey Mike, the link you gave has even more info about the woodburner than I had found online elsewhere, so thanks for that.

I paid only €15 for my burner and it was in much better state than that one. The photos above show the mica in the windows has been replaced with metal. On mine I bought some ceramic glass and bedded them in place with fireproof mastic. Even as I type this the woodburner's alight in the corner warming me nicely.

Whatever they ask for it has got to be a good investment. They're REALLY easy to clean up, as the outside case is solid caste iron and it all unbolts to separate slabs. You only have front, left side, right side (with door) and hinged lid. This entire cast iron shell surrounds a 1.5mm thin metal firebox. If this has rusted through then it could be still worth buying, making a new, or repairing the metal box should be easy enough for someone handy with a welder.
My burner also has ceramic tiles in the bottom of the firebox to stop the heat sitting directly on the metal. If this one is missing theirs, a couple of layers of ordinary ceramic tiles cut and laid down should work just fine.

What I really like about my woodburner is the 90mm chimney pipe comes out the back, this allows the heat to stay in the box just a little longer, rather than whooshing up the chimney. I run this 90mm pipe through an adapter into 130mm solid pipe.

With the ceramic base tiles, I burn coal as well as wood in my burner and I have not had a single problem with it. Just to heat my room I think I go through about one of those large heavy duty shopping bags full of logs in a day.

As for prices? I watched one sell on eBay, the difference was that that one was covered in brown coloured enamel, no window mica though and needed a bit of work on it. It finally went for £495, not inc the £75 the seller was asking to post it. So, if the seller of that burner asks for £100 for it you'd still be getting a bargain once cleaned up and running. Evening punting it on on eBay you could get your money return and then some. Sell in Sept though, not at the beginning of spring ;)

You can lift one of these reasonably easy one handed, but a two man lift would be much safer, and they're small enough to fit into the boot of an average car.

If anyone decides to go after this one, hit me up with a PM and I'll give you any advice you need. It's a VERY simple piece of kit, basically a Frontier stove in a 4 sided cast iron shell.

Nice find Mike. I swear if I didn't have one of these already and I lived closer to you I'd nab that and clean it up and sell it on myself.

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well spotted Mary indeed it is.

Hey Mike, the link you gave has even more info about the woodburner than I had found online elsehwere, so thanks for that.

I paid only €15 for my burner and it was in much better state than that one. The photos above show the mica in the windows has been replaced with metal. On mine I bught some ceramic glass and bedded them inplace with fireproof mastic. Even as I type this the woodburner's alight in the corner warming me nicely.

Whatever they ask for it has got to be a good investment, they're REALLY easy to clean up as the outside case is solid caste irn and it all unbolts to separate slabs. You only have front left side, right side and hinged lid. This entire cast iron shell surrounds a thin metal firebox. If this has rusted through then it could be still worth buying as making a metal box should be easy enough for something handy with a welder. My burner also has ceramic tiles in the base to stop the heat burning through the bottom of the metal box. If this one is missing theirs a couple of layers of ordinary ceramic tiles cut and laid down should work just fine.

What I really like about my woodburner is the 90mm chimney pipe comes out the back, thus allowing the heat to stay in the box just a little longer, rather than whooshing up the chimney. I run this 90mm pipe through an adapter into 130mm solid pipe. With the ceramic base tiles, I burn coal as well as wood in my burner and I have not had a single problem with it. Just to heat my room I think I go through about one of those large heavy duty shopping bags full of logs in a day.

As for prices? I watched one sell on eBay, the difference was that that one was covered in brown coloured enamel, no window mica though and needed a bit of work on it. It finally went for £495 not inc the £75 the seller was asking to post it. So if the seller of that burner asks for £100 for it you'd still be getting a bargain once cleaned up and running. Evening punting it on on eBay you could get your money return and then some. Sell in Sept though, not at the beginning of spring ;)

You can lift one of these reasonably easy one handed and they're small enough to fit into the boot of a car.

If anyone decides to go after this one, hit me up with a PM and I'll give you any advice you need. It's a VERY simple piece of kit, basically a Frontier stove in a 4 sided cast iron shell.

Nice find Mike. I swear if I didn't have one of these already and I lived closer to you I'd nab that and clean it up and sell it on myself.

Well I will add that if anyone wants me to nab this for them I am willing to do so, though it will have to be on a weekend.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I went back to this yesterday (well, I stopped on the way past). The stove have a hole in the base, and would need a new floor. Other customers reckoned £20 would get it easily, but the shop owner was not present.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh René zat is a loverly Deco baguette warmer.

Would be worth the cash even if it were just to sit being unused for a year or two. I do like my Deco and that's a sweet little thing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE