A flying machine!

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
This was a fun and rewarding little project that was relatively quick to do. I found a wooden spinning propeller toy in my parents house that had belonged to my sister and decided to have a crack at replicating it.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the process, but here's some of the finished article.

4444757055_bfca5f7de0.jpg

4444757959_7d35a35cb7.jpg

4445530810_2017d7b0e9.jpg

4444759853_4fb99e1d4f.jpg

4444760541_238e1de335.jpg

My not too successful attempt at getting a shot of it in flight. Took me a while to get this one but it does look a bit like i just threw it up...

I spent a while trying to carve a shaft for it, but it proved very difficult so I ended up buying some 6mm pine dowel. The prop is well seasoned sycamore and the bead at the bottom is a pretty bit of apple. This extra weight would not have been necessary if i'd made the shaft longer, but I like it. Gives it more of a seed propeller look.

Cheers

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
I like it, I have made a few myself over the years and never thought of putting a small weight on a short shaft to make it fly properly.
You could also try making a handle for it so that cord can be wrapped around the shaft so as the cord is pulled it spins the propeller. You can get them to fly very high, careful, I have lost a few on roofs.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
I like it, I have made a few myself over the years and never thought of putting a small weight on a short shaft to make it fly properly.
You could also try making a handle for it so that cord can be wrapped around the shaft so as the cord is pulled it spins the propeller. You can get them to fly very high, careful, I have lost a few on roofs.

Nice idea Sean.

I believe we met last summer at Croissant Neuf festival. I was working on the raku pottery stall next but one to yours.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Thanks for posting that Peat/Pete. :D

I haven't seen one of those in years, to be honest I'd forgotten all about them.

A neighbour of mine has a pair of "clackers" from the 1970's, now they are a health and safety nightmare!!

Cheers,

Liam

You are going to have to forgive me - I never saw one of these in my miss spent youth in Africa. I could show you loads of other home-made toys (and boys weapons), but this looks like a great project for me and the sprogletts. This I find intriguing!

Please fill in the gaps...Do you throw it up? Do you "pull start" it with chord? What do you do?

Tell me tell me tell me tell me

Yours immaturely,

Heltor Chasca

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
You are going to have to forgive me - I never saw one of these in my miss spent youth in Africa. I could show you loads of other home-made toys (and boys weapons), but this looks like a great project for me and the sprogletts. This I find intriguing!

Please fill in the gaps...Do you throw it up? Do you "pull start" it with chord? What do you do?

Tell me tell me tell me tell me

Yours immaturely,

Heltor Chasca

You hold between your palms and run them across each other. Easier to illustrate with a picture.

4445483933_ee6c15f20b.jpg

But like sean said, you could wrap a string round it for more power. This might be easier for the kids too as they can struggle to spin it fast enough manually.

Something I forgot to mention before and may not be clear from the picture is that it is important that the blades are aerofoil shaped with the thin edge leading

4446274700_87cbe2e07d_m.jpg

Last edited:

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Peat, that's awesome.

If you can figure out how to take a candle or improvised light aloft and show a video of this at night, you will get my vote for "Bushcraft Signal Flare of the Year". There could be an award, or possibly a penalty...:dunno:

HeltorChasca, my screen shows your "Join Date" as 1970, that too is kind of awesome...

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Peat, that's awesome.

If you can figure out how to take a candle or improvised light aloft and show a video of this at night, you will get my vote for "Bushcraft Signal Flare of the Year". There could be an award, or possibly a penalty...:dunno:

HeltorChasca, my screen shows your "Join Date" as 1970, that too is kind of awesome...

I think you've just cracked this years Bushmoot challenge!!!!

On the beach of course!

Ogri the trog

Oh nearly forgot - good work Peat, I like the simplicity of that.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
They send up candles in paper balloons during the winter at night, quite a sight. (snow's on the ground. If you're playing with fire and don't know the rules, you best not be playing with fire .-)

I have toyed with kites but am nowhere close to making the fine cordage needed. Or paper for that matter.

I had a wooden one when I was a kid. Had it for about ten minutes. My first flight caught me square in the face, probably because I had my head in the way. When my eyes stopped watering about nine minutes later...well, those things can really fly.

Thanks again Peat, keep 'em coming.
ATB
B4

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
They send up candles in paper balloons during the winter at night, quite a sight.

And lo! A flurry of UFO sightings!!

I had a wooden one when I was a kid. Had it for about ten minutes. My first flight caught me square in the face, probably because I had my head in the way. When my eyes stopped watering about nine minutes later...well, those things can really fly.

if you spin your closest hand too close to you, instead of emphasis on the farthest hand pushing... I made that mistake too. :D

I flick sycamore seeds these days, my eyesight is bad enough thank you...

Regards,

"Patch"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE