A few leather projects completed in the past

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
p.jpeg

Braided leather cord, out of untanned calf skin, sealed ad ends with dental floss.

p.jpeg

My first ever snake whip, still around here somewhere.

p.jpeg

A mini bull whip which actually cracks made for a friend in canada

p.jpeg

Mini bola, made from 2mm nubuck calf skin.

p.jpeg

Another mini bola from blue cow skin, and twisted strands to save weight.

p.jpeg

Regular sheath with choil cut out for shaving wood.

p.jpeg

Braided edge rat sheath

p.jpeg

Rat engraving for the rat howler

p.jpeg

Braided throwing knife handle made from cow skin.

p.jpeg

Leather watch strap and base.

p.jpeg

I have sinced changed the strap to 2mm 12 strand black pig skin

p.jpeg

Pineapple knot illustration, this is the best braided knot there is.

p.jpeg

Picture guide on making the cowbow button knot with a leather thonging needle.

Hope this gives you something to droll over in some way.

Reactions: beachlover

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Some very nice braiding there 8th.
Can I ask why you use calf skin rather than kangeroo? I thought most of the pro's use roo.

Loverly work though.

Mark

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Buckshot
The pros do, the primitives didn't.
Also the pros usually have credit cards.....I don't.

There is nothing wrong with the strengths that I use, My nubucks tested breaking strain on the four strand cordage is 45 lbs, using archery scale.
The pigskin isn't tested but is't far off it either.
It's also a much bigger challenge to get a decent usable whip with less than perfect materials, much like the bamboo bows....Not perfect but when done right they work, and thats the piont.
The skin I most want to make into a whip though is actually squirell, problem is that I would need over a hundred and fifty of them...

Andyn
I doubt most of you would want to see my as you so gracefully put it other work, whips however have a practical purpose for cutting berries and nuts out of trees, or apples, and even cutting the base of nettle stems.
The other thing is that most of my other work is only displayed on the very naked women.....not sure the censors would let it slide.

And your spot on running bear.
The bola (argentine word) was of spanish origin, I know there are many other cultures which use them even today, but for some reason the spanish word stuck. Boladeros was the proper name.
And heres how to make a practice one, full scale.
Materials needed
Three padlocks
18 feet or so of cord, spectra, paracord etc.
knowledge on tying a knot.

Each line should be slightly shorter than the last by a cm.

I will get a tutorial on this done soon for you.

And thanks for the encouragments

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
mannnnnnnnnnnn.
your gonna have your work cut out to get that many squirrels let alone tan 'em and braid 'em!!!!

all i can say is best of luck made. the mere thought of it sends me into fits of panic at the work involved :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

tom

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Every joke is at someones expensive, the blondes/middle east/women/irish/english/celebrities, these things just have to be giggled off. I'm sure that no offence was meant?

I'd much rather here a joke about somebody/something than read someone opinion about them and persecute them.

P.S Sorry 8th for hijacking this thread.

Your leather work is brilliant, have you thought about doing production for sale? I've certainly got a couple of things that I want braiding for.

Cheers.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I'm sure I posted this yesterday, but now I can't see it anywhere...

Just wondering if anyone had plans or designs for a whip, or knew of clear designs online - I've had a good search about but can't seem to find any anywhere that make any sense to me :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
match said:
I'm sure I posted this yesterday, but now I can't see it anywhere...

Just wondering if anyone had plans or designs for a whip, or knew of clear designs online - I've had a good search about but can't seem to find any anywhere that make any sense to me :)

Hi Match,
I've got a book on leather braiding that has patterns for quirts and the like among the designs. If you pm me your address I'll post it through for you to have a read.
Cheers,
Toddy

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Yes there is a reason for using dental floss.

Firstly, it is very strong, 15lbs tested even on a cheap version.
Secondly, when wrapped on properly and tightly, it becomes completely transparent.
It squeazes out the oils from the leather making it very dry and eventually harder.
This makes it perfect as a boot lace type end. IMO
You can use other things to wrap the ends, fibres, sinew, etc but dental floss is cheap, you get lots of it etc

As for whip designs there are a few around the internet I think, but I lost addresses last time comp crashed on me.
The encyclopedia of rawhide and leather braiding is a good book for over all works.
David morgans whip book isn't really good for design work but has interesting histories and tips, I don't know of any others.

Hope that helps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE