A few latest spoons

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I thought I'd post a few pictures of some recent spoons I carved. I used elbow adze, a few bent knives and a straight knife. I do the vast majority of the bowl hollowing with the elbow adze now.

http://youtu.be/9Tnz-itngcI

Ladles in beech and birch. Birch as everyone knows is fantastic to work with, I just seem to find it difficult to source decent logs, they are usually very spindley, branchy or raggy.

Large ladle, birch, actually more of a scoop/spade size.

Medium sized, in beech, cherry, and the bottom 2 are "tree of heaven", which is a strange non native invasive species which until earlier this week was totally unknown to me. It has a fine fairly soft birch-like texture which carves well (and smells of peanuts...!) but also has a pronounced strong ring porous grain similar to that of ash. It would appear to dry extremely hard with a potential glassy surface, (none of these are finished yet) and shows attractive flecks similar to those in sycamore or beech.

Little baby ones, beech, 2 cherry and laurel. The laurel one is about the size of a standard tea spoon. Looking at the top one, its still too clunky, needs shaving down more.

goodlife

Jan 12, 2014
Notts.
Lovely job!
I'm sure we can 'scratch' few decent logs together for you to carve...you don't have to carve your thumb to a spoon....;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE