A few ID`s i could do with some help on thanks ! pic heavy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hey all :)

Out in the woods last weekend and i could do with a little help with the ID of a few bits and bobs. Thanks all...

Sorry about the pics all but the only camera i have is a mobile phone jobby.

First one

DSC00022.jpg

DSC00021.jpg

First mushroom found growing on a big old ash.

DSC00004-1.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

Second mushroom, was a strange stomach looking fungi that smelt very mushroomy and had a white core when cut with a black almost coal dust covered outside.

DSC00024.jpg

DSC00023.jpg

3rd mushroom was growing on the woodland floor after clearing a load of brambles to try to get the hazel coppice growing. Chantrell or russlula? found lots of other russulas about. When sliced there was a milky substance oozing out straight away.

DSC00019-1.jpg

DSC00018-1.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
1st Mushroom..Dryads Saddle?,I'm not certain though.

Had a good search for Dryads saddle and the shape/location/time of year do point to it but the upper part of the mushroom didnt seem to look the same. Best bet so far though cheers !

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Had a good search for Dryads saddle and the shape/location/time of year do point to it but the upper part of the mushroom didnt seem to look the same. Best bet so far though cheers !

The charachteristic pattern of the dryads saddle tends to warp and vanish the older the specimine gets.

Stu

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
1st two pics are the berries & leaves of St John's Wort (Hypericum). Not edible, used medicinally.

2nd Ones on the Ash tree are of Dryad's saddle (Polyporous squamosus). Edible only when very young.

3rd Set is Dead Mans Fingers (Xylaria polymorpha). Inedible.

4th Set is more problematic because the pictures aren't sharp, but there is a distinct ridge where the gills meet the stem which means it's def. not a Chanterelle. Your description of abundant milky sap makes me suggest Saffron Milk Cap (Lactarius deliciousus). Edible and good.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
1st two pics are the berries & leaves of St John's Wort (Hypericum). Not edible, used medicinally.

2nd Ones on the Ash tree are of Dryad's saddle (Polyporous squamosus). Edible only when very young.

4th Set is more problematic because the pictures aren't sharp, but there is a distinct ridge where the gills meet the stem which means it's def. not a Chanterelle. Your description of abundant milky sap makes me suggest Saffron Milk Cap (Lactarius deliciousus). Edible and good.

Cheers for that and ill do a little research on the Saffron Milk Cap.:)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...

First one looks like tutsan to me Carol... Same family though..

bartjeuh200

Nov 2, 2007
Lembeke, Belgium
True, it is a big family, but one Hypericum isn't the other
just like plantago major, or greater plantain, is not the same as plantago lanceolata, or english plantain.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Tutsan contains hypericin just as other members of the st. johnswort family do. I am not sure why only perforate st. johns wort is one that is marketed. There is known history of all the family been used to treat melancoly and wounds.

Lactarius deliciousus has orange milk. I ID milk caps by tasting a drop of milk on the tip of my tongue, and i bet that one is really hot and peppery.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE