a disaster has struck!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheDaddy187

Banned
Nov 26, 2014
United Kingdom
well cash would make good tinder...

maybe in large amounts you can ball it up and use to insulate your clothing...

coins i guess could be shaped on a rock into arrow heads...

no other things i can see cash being helpful in this situation...

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I don't have a survival kit But if I had to chose one thing it would be my recently received custom tomahawk from Dave Budd. I chose the specs I wanted and so on so naturally it suits me great. Because the head can come of the handle it would make smalls tasks such as food prep, feathersticks or what not much easier. Because the handle isn't wedged it would be much easier to replace if it ever broke. Other than that it would most likely be my Rob Evans Bushtool as that knife suits me great for many tasks and is always with me when I'm out but the hawk has the extra power for chopping wood/boughs etc If I needed to build a shelter. Here are some photos of the hawk (taken in poor light sorry):

imagejpg1_zpsb74db0a8.jpg

imagejpg2_zps1463e229.jpg

imagejpg2_zps39400b6c.jpg

imagejpg1_zps712fe40b.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsd8a24059.jpg

imagejpg1_zps05ea30a8.jpg

To an extent this is hypothetical as it is with my other gear in my bag like tarp etc so I would grab the lot of it and that what I always take but if I was to chose only one it would most likely be the hawk :).

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm already in the countryside and have nearly everything I need. So I'll grab a petrol tanker :). We could manage pretty well, but more petrol for the chainsaws, rotovators etc. would surely ease the workload a little

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I like that cameron. Off the top of my head i don't think I'v ever seen a bearded hawk quite like that before

Looks a good length of haft on it too

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I like that cameron. Off the top of my head i don't think I'v ever seen a bearded hawk quite like that before

Cheers! It's different to most and it's a lovely bit of kit, beard is handy for carving too :)

Edit: yeah the haft is 22 inches and e head is 440 grams so it's a long handle to head weight ratio I guess and I've really grown to like axes that way. On a side note with it being a hawk I could make different handles of varying length and change them depending on what I'm doing with it :)

Last edited:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
If chtf the first place i'm heading will be the Chemist, While everyone else is in Tesco and ASDA battering lumps out of each other like it's black friday over the last Loaf, I'll be taking every antibiotic, Insulin and various other essential drugs i can get my hands on. It doesn't matter how well stocked your larder is. If you have a family member who needs meds you will trade everything you have for a 14 day course of whatever just to keep them alive and that's where i come in.

I'll also nip into Poundland and take all the lighters i can carry. People with lesser skills would kill and probably have done for a way to achieve fire.

After that i will head back home for the Bug out bag.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDaddy187

Banned
Nov 26, 2014
United Kingdom
well i would take my trailhawk

i have sharpened it to a razor edge and the head is removable therefore making it a tool for cutting lumber to fashion into a shelter, able to make stakes, cutting parts for deadfall traps or simmilarly effective traps/snares...

i can then remove the head to use as a knife to process anything i have caught...

i would find flint and use the hammer end at the back to make sparks... teamed up with feather sticks or horse hoof fungus to make fire...

it would also be a decent weapon to fend off any walking dead at a reasonable distance... away from teeth

it can easily be sharpened on a flat stone and if the handle ever breaks, i can make one in the scrubs easily using just the head to make it

i can use it to strip birch bark for either kindling or in thicker strips to make a waterproof roof for my shelter... or flat surface for my bed

;)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
A large knife (khukri/survival tool) so that I can make a quarterstaff and use it to steal from those less-well armed.....

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'm already in the countryside and have nearly everything I need. So I'll grab a petrol tanker :). We could manage pretty well, but more petrol for the chainsaws, rotovators etc. would surely ease the workload a little

I used to get on well with the chap who delivered the heating oil to my place in Scotland, all of these vehicles oil and petrol are fitted with tracking systems, sometimes multiples thereof, so if as the OP has suggested Urban areas are under the control of an invading force or martial law it is likely that the tracking systems are in the hands of the 'enemy'.

So, i'd suggest having an old bedford truck filled with bowsers (something owned communally with your neighbours), rendezvous with the petrol truck some distance from home and drain as much as you can before hoofing it. :)

As to the OP's question.

I'd take my leatherman. All the other tools I'd need I can pick up as I walk or drive out of the city.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
it is your only chance of survival... staying behind will result in capture/death

I'm one of those people who has to question everything (maybe you've noticed) and make up my own mind, what's happened and why am I legging it away like a big jessie?

But, If I absolutely had to go off somewhere at a moments notice, I would be driving my shelter/means of making a living/van when I do it.

Captured/killed is mostly fantasyland round these parts and I'm no prepper.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE