A day out challenge.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Many thanks again for the comments folks.

Very well done, next time see if you can also make the cordage from natural materials on the day, that really would be an accomplishment.

Hi redneck,i have tried to use natural cordages when out and about for the bowdrill,from Spruce roots to Bramble to nettles,but i,ve found that you have to process them in some way,ie Spruce roots need to dry out before using them,because the are just too brittle when fresh out of the ground.

Have you had any success yourself with any natural fibres that you don't have to process as i would seriously interested?

Congrats on the success with the bowdrill, I've been trying for a few weeks without success yet, though I've had so much smoke off it I couldnt see the tip of the drill, but alas no ember off it, I'm using an ivy hearth but my spindle is unidentified, but I'm determined to succeed at this one day..

Hi Glydr,it sounds like your no to far from the elusive ember,good luck and keep at it.

Thanks Stuart,
Think i'll give it a try again too.

Less pressure when you're on your own an' a' that:)

Btw do you know if the butter bur is the one used in medicines for something?
I've heard something about that before somewhere I think.

Hi Tam,i,ve read.Butter bur's active ingredients are Mucilage,petasitin and essential oil.
Uses,as a relaxant,painkiller for stomach and intestinal ailments.The leaves and flowers reduce bleeding,and swollen veins.In homeopathy its used to treat coughs,hoarseness,urinary problems and lower back pain.

A good wee book to get is this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Herbs-Heali...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271682386&sr=1-1 if you don;t already have it.

Cheers Stuart.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Many thanks again for the comments folks.

Hi redneck,i have tried to use natural cordages when out and about for the bowdrill,from Spruce roots to Bramble to nettles,but i,ve found that you have to process them in some way,ie Spruce roots need to dry out before using them,because the are just too brittle when fresh out of the ground.

Have you had any success yourself with any natural fibres that you don't have to process as i would seriously interested?

Im trying willow or wych elm as its very tough, and can be made into a reasonably finished cordage, with about three hrs of processing.

Ive loads of preped and boiled fibres in the garage and was going to practice at home first then head out and make some fresh on the day.
I'll be a long tireing day mind! :D

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Im trying willow or wych elm as its very tough, and can be made into a reasonably finished cordage, with about three hrs of processing.

Ive loads of preped and boiled fibres in the garage and was going to practice at home first then head out and make some fresh on the day.
I'll be a long tireing day mind! :D

Hi Addo,thanks for the reply.
I am like your self,i have used natural cordages that i made myself for the bowdrill,but these needed to be processed ie dried first then the fibres separated and then spun up into cord,3 separate processes,again its time and effort.
But to make a cord up whilst out,for the bowdrill,would as you say be a long day indeed,do-able yes,but not instantaneous.
I myself think there is a bit of an urban myth about the bowdrill,that you can use any green fresh plant material without any processing of it,i would however like to be proved wrong though,and that there is something,a natural material out there that can be used straight away,without any form of processing.
Oh well more experimenting me thinks :D

Please let us know how you get on yourself though,when you get a chance to have a go,as i'm always interested to hear others experiences.

Cheers Stuart.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Please let us know how you get on yourself though,when you get a chance to have a go,as i'm always interested to hear others experiences.

Cheers Stuart.

Will do Stuart. Makes you realise i supose, why the ancesters had ways of keeping in the fire over night to avoid doing the bow drill or flint-pyrities often :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE