A day in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Having just worked Friday, Saturday and Sunday 12 hr shifts it was nice to spend a morning in the woods clearing some scrub from around the high seats. This is only the second 'heavy' session I've had with my Tora kukri and like the first time I remain impressed by its chopping efficiency - there is a knack to using a kukri and I feel I am getting there. I forgot to take my secateurs and could have really done with a machete or something with a thinner blade for the brambles, I did use my little Gerber saw in areas where I couldn't swing the kuk. Heres a few pics.
Things had got a bit wild

P1010130.jpg

Not a clear view
P1010132.jpg

Out with the kuk
P1010137.jpg

It didn't take long to make an impact
P1010141.jpg

Thats a much better view
P1010134.jpg

P1010136.jpg

The Reds are at home
P1010162.jpg

Time for a brew
P1010152.jpg

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
Looks like a nice day for it aswell, is this on your on land or public? I'd love a place like that to go but the local woods here it would get trashed by the darling kids that don't seem to have parents to keep a watch over them. Although i couldp snipe them off one by one from that seat.
What kind of wildlife to you get to see from there then?

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Its private. I use the seats for deerstalking but the list of wildlife I see is amazing, foxes, hares, rabbits, all three woodpeckers, tawny owls, sparrowhawks, treecreepers, whitethroats, blackcaps etc etc

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not to mention badgers !

That is a spiffy looking high seat there though - far nicer than the "lashed to a tree" arrangements round here.

We had a thin day today - just one pretty little doe

953164868_3888644844.jpg

Always nice to see them though

Red

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I have got a couple of lean-to high seats. Before going to the wood I took the dog for a walk over the farm. Managed to call a young roe buck to about 20 feet, the dog was laying beside me, three times the buck ran in close, ran out to about 40 yds and ran back.

Great I thought I've finally got this calling sussed. I spotted another buck at about 80yds, gave a call, he looked in my direction then ran in the opposite direction. He couldn't see or wind me. Was I just lucky the first time? This is a regular pattern, some deer take interest others clearly don't.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Never tried calling - but I've been tempted to buy a call just to try for fun! It sounds like they certainly can work then!

Red

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
One question about high seats, doesnt it spread your scent around more being that much higher, or is this offset by the extra distances you can see?
Great pic's by the way, love the Kuk

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Red - yep attacc do Butello.
Sickboy - Usually the opposite, lifts any scent above their heads, but the wind does strange things within woods, especially those with rides cut through. Buy some blowing bubbles and just watch the directional change.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE