A day in the Lairig Ghru- PIC HEAVY

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Well, my weekend in the Cairngorms turned out to be just a day- good thing too as after 20 miles with around 11kg on my back, I would never have managed another step the next day, let alone another 12 miles!

Left the car at Linn of Dee and got a lift north from the wife- we went to see some family in Nairn. My brother and his two wee boys wanted to come and camp too so we headed off to Coylumbridge late afternoon (including a wander round the gear shops in Aviemore) and got set up. Nice wee campsite but the pitches we chose were rock hard underfoot- not a problem for the Alpkit Spikes I had though!

9ynejumy.jpg

My lightweight Golite Den 2

2u2ajy2e.jpg

My brother's Tent

nymuna9a.jpg

My two wee nephews and some of their dad's torches!

Well, after a return trip to Aviemore for tea, we played with the kids and had a couple of beers and turned in around 10pm

I didn't sleep too well, my lovely new custom PHD bag slipped about on my very slippy Multimat Superlight Air mat, which in turn slipped about on my very slippy tent floor!

Rose at half 5 to a clear sky and although it was cold, there was no frost.

After breakfast and a bit of personal admin, I was all packed and left my bro and his two at 07:30 and headed off down the forest.

If you've never seen traditional Caledonian pine forests, there are truly stunning! It was a beautiful bright morning and my rucksack felt light!

5ure9e7u.jpg

upanupa4.jpg

As the path climbed steadily into the mouth of the pass, the views became even better, despite the cloud that was now closing in ahead

9y6uneha.jpg

uju3esud.jpg

Climbing up to the dreaded boulder fields- mostly smallish stuff but some as big as a sofa and very slippy underfoot- I was very aware how easily I could bust
an ankle and be stuck here for a long time!

e9ada3ur.jpg

Looking back along the way I'd come. No pictures of the Pools of Dee as camera died and didn't get to top up the batts until later due to the rain.

enarenen.jpg

Rain fast approaching from behind & Corrur bothy on the left at the bottom of Devil's Point

I'd met a couple earlier who were walking from Blair Atholl to Aviemore and they looked as tired as I felt, but I was relieved that I had already done the hard bit!

3ese8y5y.jpg

The Devil's Point in all it's menacing beauty!

a7a3yten.jpg

The view back towards Derry lodge and the hills I'd just walked past.

After a long, wet and entertaining (thanks to the Germans I bumped into with their beer and football!) 8.5 hours, i'd made it to Derry Lodge and it was just an hour back to the car.

After a brief rest at the black bridge, I struggled to get my pack back on and had a very slow, painful walk the last 30
mins.

A quick change into dry clothes and an hour home by car!

I had made ok time as I'm not the fittest and have always struggled uphills. A sign at the Cairngorm footbridge states it's 18 miles to Linn of Dee and should take 8 hours- I did it in 8 hours 50, including stops so quite happy.

I was happy with my Salomon shoes- didn't need to worry about all the streams and flooded paths as the water just drained out and my feet were never cold. No blisters or even any hot spots due to the thin liner socks and thicker icebreaker ones on top. I was often too hot with my paramo velez light on so walked mostly with just my skin200 icebreaker top- even in the rain i was warm. I did put my Hagloff Bara Pants over my Hagloff Rugged Mountain Pants for a while, but even they got me too clammy without the wind.

A great day but I am seriously concerned about how I can do that for 2 weeks should I get picked for the 2013 TGO challenge!- much tweaking of kit needed and have to say- Hats off to Shewie!!!!

Cheers for looking.

ATB

KP

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thats bought back some good memories, the Ghru is an old fave. The Devils point (Bod am Domhain) is always impressive (theres a cracking pitch at the side of it in Glen Geusachan)

Thanks for posting KP, thats livened me up to get up soon again :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Very nice KP, I'm really missing that place these days

If you get on the TGO you'll find it actually starts to get easier after the 3rd or 4th day, after that it's a doddle.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Thats bought back some good memories, the Ghru is an old fave. The Devils point (Bod am Domhain) is always impressive (theres a cracking pitch at the side of it in Glen Geusachan)

Thanks for posting KP, thats livened me up to get up soon again :)

I've been meaning to explore that wee bit Teepee ever since I looked down on it from the summit :)

Very nice KP, I'm really missing that place these days

If you get on the TGO you'll find it actually starts to get easier after the 3rd or 4th day, after that it's a doddle.

I was hoping you'd say that Shewie!!

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Nice bit info, its real good to go out and find lots of things about yourself you didn't seem to know before. If you go out several times then this will be much easier,mind you I have not been out for a long time to due to illness, being totally unfit and not the correct mindset. you have done really well and again tested some of your kit. Training is the way forward. I wish you all the luck in the world if you do get on the TGO. Well done keep it up.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Nice looking trip Stuart. Get to use the Puukko? [My Trailstar arrived yesterday :p I'll send you a photo to drool over.]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE