A crack in the shaft

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Today I fixex some old axe heads on new shafts. One of the shaft was for a 1 kg head and I made new wedges from an ash board. Probably the wedge was inserted quite too deep but after the first cuts I noticed a small crack in the shaft. I'd like to know our opinion about the crack. Is it a cosmetic problem or it's better avoiding the use of the axe and make a new handle (the third attempt fot this very old lady, about 80 years of service)

Here the pictures
01.jpg

02.jpg

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Yes, it is ash. Thanks for replies. Unfortunately I can't shorten this one. the neck of the shaft is quite wide and I've to remove a lot of wood unbalancing the shaft

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Could be a good idea fixing the back of the shaft with a small metal plate in order to avoid a possible split?

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
If you could remove the axe head without damaging the handle,it might be possible to work some glue into the crack and then clamp it together for a couple of hours. You may then be able to cut a new wedge slot. Once fitted the axe head should then act as a ferrule to hold the split together. Just an idea, good luck.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Thanks. Unfortunately the head is extemely solid now, but I'll try to fill some epoxic glue with a syringe needle in the crack

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Personally I would not worry too much about that crack, as it is held together by the head of the axe. If the crack was further down the shaft without the head to keep it together, then that would be a different matter. Use it and just keep an eye on the crack to see if it gets any bigger. There would be no harm as you suggested to try & fill the crack with epoxy, but I dont think it would make a difference.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'd not be worried either.

2lbanglepeen1.jpg

As long as the split is straight and doesn't veer off I wouldn't worry.

Andy

Biker

Wheel tapper's hammer? I'm guessing that split in the shaft is to create some sort of spring/shock absorbing action?

As for the split in the axe handle 2trapper, as has already been said - you could replace the handle, but I'd opt for the resin glue and keeping an eye on it getting any worse.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
If the person resins the crack, would drilling a small hole at the end the crack stop the crack going further from shock etc? or is that a plastic trick only?

Biker

If the person resins the crack, would drilling a small hole at the end the crack stop the crack going further from shock etc? or is that a plastic trick only?

Personally I wouldn't go with drilling a hole at the end of the split because the grain might not be in a straight line though the thickness of the shaft and drilling wil only make the problem worse. Would work in plastic because plastic doesn't have a grain to speak of, unlike wood. Top tip though, I used the same trick fixing a crack in one of my side panels on my motorbike.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have seen bows with a split for 3/4 of one limb (following the grain) which shoot well with no sign of degredation.
Get some epoxy in there and call it good.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
leave the axe as is, if your really unsure whip it up with twine and a little glue to hold the twine......:)

jobs a fish...;)

awesome hammers...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE