A couple of questions about Mora knives...

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
There now seems to be a bewildering array of Moras on the market. I'd like a knife suitable for a bit of simple carving, would the Mora Robust model be a good choice? Would it be any better than my Clipper?
And finally, I assume that all Moras have a 2ndary bevel, is it easy to convert the knife to a true scandi grind with a diamond file?

Thanks in advance

Bob.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Hi there! The Mora robust model seems to be the same as the clipper but with a slightly thicker blade so really not all that different, a clipper/companion should do fine for most tasks. Moras are basically ground down to the true scandi bevel, with the exception of a microscopic secondary bevel that is a result of their manufacturing process so that they are leaving the factory shaving sharp. A regular sharpen on stones would take away the secondary bevel, you wouldn't even need a diamond file or anything as acutely abrasive as that. Really cant go wrong with any of the mora range, they're dirt cheap and have great steel.
hope this helps

paddy

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Not all Moras have a secondary bevel. The carving knives do not like the 105, 106 and 120 which are all laminated.

The 106 and 120 are superb tools. I did not like thehandle on the 105 so rehandled the one I had but gave it away in a KITH.

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Ive got a Mora Cliper and find it good for all my needs, My mate has just borught one as a rough use knife after using mine a couple of times, Ive also got a 120 carving knife and like that as well, I shapen mine to Scandi grinds, as easy and quick to sharpen in the feild.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE