A couple of projects started today.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I've been meaning to get round to these for ages, well I finally got started. I wanted a wallet/pouch to keep my Hudson bay tinder box and spare tinder in. I'm in the process of making it in three pieces, a cover and two wet formed pockets. One question for the real leather workers, should I score the centre section, to allow the two halves to fold together, it's 2.5mm veg tan?
Here's what I did today.
The press is a bit Heath Robinson. :D
leatherwork 001.jpg leatherwork 002.jpg leatherwork 004.jpg

leatherwork 003.jpg leatherwork 009.jpg

I also wanted my S/S Mora knife to look more traditional, so I wet formed some leather around the plastic sheath so that I can have the best of both worlds.

leatherwork 005.jpg I'll post more pics as I go.
Thanks for looking.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Both projects looking good; I've always wanted to cover a Mora plastic sheath with leather but never got around to it, for some reason. Perhaps this'll get me going!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Just a helpful hint but then you may not be as stupid as me. Don't put a sam browne stud right over the raised cover of the magnifying glass. It tends to dent easily!

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Thanks guys. SCOMAN, I see what you mean, but I'm not planning on using any metal fittings. Leather lacing to join the pieces, and leather and antler for the closure.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I really like the tinderbox pouch, and looking forward to seeing it with lacing.

Out of interest, did you score the inside in the end, and also did you just dye the inside in the same way as the outside?

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi Dave, glad you like it. No I didn't score it in the end, after I dyed and polished it, it seemed supple enough, but I would still take advice on that.
Yes I did the inside the same as the outside. :)

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Thanks chaps. Got the Mora sheath finished, bar the lacing. I really like the colour these have turned out, Dylon brown leather dye and polished up with Kiwi shoe polish. :D

leatherwork 006.jpg leatherwork 007.jpg leatherwork 008.jpg

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I finally worked out how to post up larger images. :p

leatherwork%20001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

leatherwork%20002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Great job on both there Colin!

I love the tinderbox pouch, and your stamp sets it off a treat. The contrasting wrap-around lacing on the sheath looks good and gives a cool mountain man feel.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Great job on both there Colin!

I love the tinderbox pouch, and your stamp sets it off a treat. The contrasting wrap-around lacing on the sheath looks good and gives a cool mountain man feel.

Thanks Dave, it was my first go on either. The lacing on the sheath is temporary, I'm trying to learn a better stitch. I've made quite a few mistakes on this, but have learned a lot. I need to get a set of hole punches, rather than use a drill, and I think dyeing before assembly is required. But for a first go I'm quite pleased. I've just cut the handle off the Mora to replace it with Yew.

CumbrianLad

Nomad
May 5, 2016
Carlisle
Wow that's really nice i like the lace effect what kind of style is that based off might sound a silly question just i am trying to learn little bits and bobs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE