A common scenario - What would you do?

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I have a 2man life systems one which packs into my MSR titanium mug thingy.
They weigh hardly anything and are real shelter if you are on the hills in a downpour.
Shewie is, as usual, right.You really need some good ventilation if you are going to light a stove
in a Bothy Bag.Mine goes out with me every time if I'm on the fells.It's a brilliant piece of kit
for almost no cost in terms of weight or cash & it might just save your life one day.
Cheeers, Simon

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I think this is an interesting problem but frankly, I haven't found the ultimate solution yet. Rain isn't the only problem but also snow and sometimes, wind. One of my favorite places to go is on a trail that follows ridges, up and down for miles. The places with the best views (the chief reason for going) can sometimes be quite breezy and for a lengthy stop, a good windbreak is appreciated. As an aside, I spent one night at a good spot for a camp along that trail and it wasn't breezy at all but it was foggy. The trees dripped all night long.

At any rate, I've tried ponchos, zeltbahns, shelter halves, tarps and combinations of the three but they all fall short in one way or another. They're either too open and provide too little wind protection, or they're too heavy or just plain difficult to put up. I've never attempted any in a heavy rain. I've thought about other alternatives, including beach shelters (too heavy and too expensive), bigger tarps (promising) and small tents (also promising if they're easy to put up). The only problem I have with the tent I have now, which is an ancient Nu-lite, is that it isn't something you can set up in much of a hurry. But it is light and insect proof. Sometimes you want something to provide shade, too.

I do like ponchos myself and I find them almost ideal for rain but the one I have is too small to make a real shelter. I also think an umbrella is practical and I use one, too, if I remember to take one along, which I usually don't. The biggest problem, at any rate, is that most of the places I choose to stop along the trail for a long break do not seem to be the best places to make a shelter, usually because the land is steep and rocky, but we manage.

eddieb

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2014
Essex
I have a £15 olive green poncho from Amazon, it has 6 eyelets I believe and cordage on each one, so theoretically I would stop while wearing this and attach the front of it to something, take a couple steps back and attach the back then sit down and take my head Out and I would be under it.... but I never wear it my girlfriend abuses me when I do but it's all good I got her one for xmas ;)

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Excellent idea. Only yesterday I saw 2 women getting drenched in the rain standing on the grass verge whilst their car sat on the hard shoulder.

Seconded. Have mentioned to the Mrs a few times about getting one for the same reason. Since that thought crossed my mind I always make sure to have a waterproof coat and brolley in the car. It's sometimes very easy to not bother with one if its just a few steps from car to door but its no fun if you're stuck out in it.

I plan to add a few more things in time too to aid comfort. An easy way to make a quick hot drink or something. Anything to keep warm and as comfortable as possible during the wait for help really.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE