A Bushcraft Lunch....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I was a chef for over 20 years, and in the kitchen, we always used to par-boil potatoes. It makes sure you don't get crunchy bits of spud. In the winter I sometimes use the water I have boiled them in to make hot chocolate as it is very "carb-rich".

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I was a chef for over 20 years, and in the kitchen, we always used to par-boil potatoes. It makes sure you don't get crunchy bits of spud.....

Hmmm. Here (in the South) the crunchy is part of what we're shooting for. It's why the diced or shredded taters alone are called "hash browns" (golden, browned, crunchy, and delicious) Hence my comment about having never seen them boiled first.

Mind there are exceptions up North though.

Last edited:

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Hmmm. Here (in the South) the crunchy is part of what we're shooting for. It's why the diced or shredded taters alone are called "hash browns" (golden, browned, crunchy, and delicious) Hence my comment about having never seen them boiled first.

Mind there are exceptions up North though.

Are they diced small? I will have to give this a try!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Are they diced small? I will have to give this a try!

Yes usually. Or sometimes shredded on a box grater. They're often served as a side dish with breakfast (in the case of being said side dish they're often shredded on a box grater instead of diced) They can then be eaten as is or covered with whatever the diner likes: sausage gravy, chipped beef gravy, catsup, brown sauce, etc. or even used as a base to place a soft fried egg on.

Sometimes they have onions and bell peppers sauteed as the potatoes cook and mixed to gether become a dish known as Potatoes O'Brien."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE