A bushcraft holiday to Sweden - have you considered..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
...the archipelago?

Most of you that either have been, or are planning to come, to Sweden for a bushcrafttrip are going for the widespread forests or northern mountains and want to "live bushcraft" for a while.
I wonder if one of, in my opinion, the best areas for bushcrafting is being overlooked.
The archipelago.
Sweden has great archipelagos in many places around the coast as well as in the larger lakes but the baltic coast, roughly between the cities of Stockholm and Västervik are unequaled!
Thousands of islands of different sizes, most of them forested, are scattered only a few hundred meters apart making islandhopping with rental kayak or canou so easy that it can be recomended even for absolute beginners.
Take a look using "Google earth" and you get the picture. ;)
Most of the islands are uninhabited and the "right of public access" gives you unlimited campsites, shores and beaches. Fishing with handheld equipment is free and if you can´t feed yourself on perch and pike you simply aren´t doing it right.
The opportunities for foraging are good as long as you know what plants to look for (a swedish survivalguide is helpful).
The only problem may be fresh water. The seawater is brackish but drinkable although blooming of poisonous algy makes this unwise without adequate filtering.
There are however many marinas and other places where you can fill up your supply and in my kayak I have 20 litres which lasts me a week before refilling.
There are many places to rent kayaks or canous and most of them also offer courses.
For example:http://www.nykoping.se/en/guiden/See_and_Do/Outdoor_Activities__Adventures/Canoe_Kayak__Boat/Letting/Canoe__Kayak/ (Skavsta airport is in Nyköping)
or http://www.stannakajak.com/foreign/engelska.htm maybe a couple of hours by buss from skavsta.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Sounds great. Any trip to Sweden would suit me just fine right now.
One day when my daughters older, I intend to take the family there on a few trips.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
I was at Monsteras(sp) the summer before last,and there is quiet a sizeable island off the coast there. I had travelled across from Oslo and then down the coast a while........great countryside which my itinerary did not give me any time to explore to any great degree. Maybe next time.

Smoggy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE