A Brief Respite (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Brief Respite

Well…today I just took a break from everything and went for a walk in the woods. It was foggy and rainy nearly the whole trip and I had every intention of hiking wearing a poncho because I just needed to get away for a few… and then right before I parked the rain stopped.

My destination is up there shrouded in mist.

DestinationMistyMountain.jpg

IMG_2241.jpg

MistyMountain.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

Went past the hole tree…. from previous lightning strike, it’s still standing.

holetree.jpg

But after a while of Driving down dirt and gravel roads I found my way here…

Woods

Woods.jpg

there were lots of Blackberries blooming.

BlackberryBloom.jpg

and I found this hollowed tree stump someone has been using as a hide for deer hunting

IMG_2319.jpg

FiringPorts-2.jpg

FiringPorts.jpg

and woods

PeacefulWoods.jpg

found a couple of other lightning strikes.

LightningStrike.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

and more woods

OpenForest.jpg

found several trees with Burls…some of them pretty large

Burl.jpg

Burls.jpg

and more woods still

IMG_2344.jpg

found a tree eating another tree…

Cannibaltree-2.jpg

and several of what I think are Cherry trees having some bark issues.

CherryBark-3.jpg

CherryBark-2.jpg

Cherry-sap.jpg

I was wondering if these snails had anything to do with it.

Snails.jpg

CherrySnails.jpg

I found where a squirrel had been dining

SquirrelDinner.jpg

and even more woods still and no people…

NoPeople.jpg

and then finally I found what it was I was seeking

and the I found a couple of Pine Knots and decided to do some firecrafting on these rocks.

Rocks.jpg

BK7.jpg

Firecrafting.jpg

BK13PineKnot.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

on the way back up to the top of the ridge I found an antler a buck had shed.

Antler.jpg

and at the top of the hill in the edge of the field I found some large wild onions

AntlerOnions.jpg

there was a Turkey hunting supper.

Turkey-3.jpg

and I found some Polk Salad

PolkSalad.jpg

and some young cherries

Cherries-2.jpg

Cherries-1.jpg

But then the sky started looking like this again and it was time to head home.

DarkSky.jpg

All in all it was a wonderful, albeit brief, respite…..a peaceful seven hours.

Again . Nice!!!!

Our Roving stateside reporter.

Carry on that man. Well done.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. I sure enjoyed the break!

Wouldn't it be lovely to have that much woodland with nobody in it in this country!

It sometimes gets crowded during deer season, but this time of year when it raining like that I always have it to myself out there...as far as people go anyway.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lovely, Mistwalker :D

Glad you found some calm. We all need those days of rain washed clean air somewhere green and thrivingly alive.

Hope things settle well for you.

atb,
Toddy

eskimo

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 1, 2006
Humberside
Totally off topic but you have just cleared up something for me.

My favourite Elvis (Tony Joe) song is Polk Salad Annie!!! Now I know where it's from. I don't suppose your 'down in louisianna' ??

Please excuse my ramblings.......it is late and I am tired.

Totally off topic but you have just cleared up something for me.

My favourite Elvis (Tony Joe) song is Polk Salad Annie!!! Now I know where it's from. I don't suppose your 'down in louisianna' ??

Please excuse my ramblings.......it is late and I am tired.

Nope...in the hills of Tennessee, but it grows all over the south. Careful if you ever eat any...it has to be cooked properly or it's poisonous...so I'm told, I've eaten the stalks rolled in meal and fried and the leaves cooked like greens...so far I'm still kicking.

Good pictures - I'd certainly mark out those rocks as a spot for a brew!

Well, there are no trails there other than the deer trails but I have the spot mentally saved, and will definitely be there again. I hope to camp there this coming fall. Now...it's just spring and I'm already in a hurry for autumn.

Thanks guys, glad you liked the pictures.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
I've been following your picture posts with great interest since you joined the forum, but, now you have 'taken the biscuit' with a video to boot.

Just wish i had somewhere to escape to like you have, do you realise how lucky you are? (non-mocking).

"Am guuud" ........... Just about sums it up.

Keep up the great posts, if i can't be there, at least i can see there.

I've been following your picture posts with great interest since you joined the forum, but, now you have 'taken the biscuit' with a video to boot.

Just wish i had somewhere to escape to like you have, do you realise how lucky you are? (non-mocking).

"Am guuud" ........... Just about sums it up.

Keep up the great posts, if i can't be there, at least i can see there.

Thanks Tony, glad you enjoyed the post. Yes I do realize just how lucky I am, that's why I have always wandered back here every time I left. Mosquitos, pollen and all I love this place.

Air Pirate

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN, USA
I'm jealous and I live in the same state as you. I live in Memphis however, no hills of that size around here. I'm originally from Nashville though and love the Chatanooga area.

I'm jealous and I live in the same state as you. I live in Memphis however, no hills of that size around here. I'm originally from Nashville though and love the Chatanooga area.

It's been several years since I passed through Memphis...probably wouldn't know it now. I used to go to Clarksville to fish a lot in my teens....that's been a while too lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE