a bit of Treen I found

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Nov29852.jpg

and the underneath

Nov29856.jpg

This is that wooden bowl I was telling you about in the Oiling Spoons thread, it was very dusty when I found it but I have washed it well.

It seems to be already oiled, so I dont think ill fool with it further.

I have no idea what the wood is, I may have a go at making one of these for my own when i have the time, its a fetching irregular design, and Im sure my Aunty will love it

(shes from Finland, BTW, I have no idea if she has a kuksa, but she has a fine pair of antique skis.)

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Tengu, you never cease to amaze me with the things you find. Can I give you a shopping list? I love the wooden bowl and it looks to me like a dish for olives. Oniles go in the large part and the stones then go in the smaller bit. I have a pottery version.;)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I think that you are both mistaken, I don't think it is a bowl, I've seen something that looks the same, in the cider museum in Hereford, its a thumb scoop. they are quite common on farms and in flour mills for moving grain and flour in to or out of troughs. they are often roughly made and only as good as was needed for the job at hand.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its for a mort of olives then, its about a foot long, as you can see by the birch leaf in the bottom left hand corner.

you cant see very well in the pic, but it has a lovley pattern of gouge marks.

not bad for £2 (they wouldnt haggle, much to my annoyance)

Whats your list then, Fred? I never know what I may turn up nexct

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE