A bit of handy cooking?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roefisher

Forager
Oct 15, 2005
The Roe Valley
Hi folks,

This is always changing so it's always good to get any up to date ideas from you all. What do you like to take to cook when you're out for the day? No long term survival details or fancy meals here please - just a simple warm meal!

Any ideas or personal fancies are most welcome ...

Mark

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Covent garden soups are good, really hearty and come in some fantastic flavours, (e.g thai green curry, carrot and corriander)! Heat up quickly and easily.

Great with a bit of bannock as leon said.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Really boring I'm afraid. I like cupa soup and a packet of cheap noodles and a couple of pre buttered bread rolls. To drink, tea bags and sacharine sweetners - no milk. That's just for an extended day trip. If I'm only out for half a day, I take sarnies and a flask. An overnighter and I add bannock mix to the list and a few rashers of bacon.

Eric

Roefisher

Forager
Oct 15, 2005
The Roe Valley
Bannock is indeed nice. I like eggs myself - usually scrambed to the (very difficult to achieve properly) stage of really badly burnt - and then with lots of pepper :D

Mark

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Bannock as all have said is very nice and some homemade leek and potato soup. (sounds disgusting,tastes great). But really no matter what you eat when your on the trail or out camping. Everything you eat tastes better. Eggs can be a problem. While i was watching ray mears marathon on uk gold yesterday in the four seasons episode. He had salami and tomato kebabs with salad. Looked great. Has anyone tried that. :D

Roefisher

Forager
Oct 15, 2005
The Roe Valley
I know that eggs can go off quickly, but as I said above we're not out on a long winded affair - just out for the day and a bit of craic where they're safe for all the time we're going to be away.

Here's another mix I make up a lot , even at home - no laughing allowed :rolleyes:

Crushed corned "Bully" beef in Heinz beans with either scallions or onions - now, that is tasty.

Mark

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
I have a mix a little similar to Bannock, but more nutritious.

1 cup of Quaker oats that you have put in a food blender and chopped into a coarse flour.
2: A bit of dried milk (or normal milk if its cool out) that is just enough to wet the mix
3: A good squirt of liquid honey

Mix all together into a stiff sticky mix, put it into a pan with no oil and flatten it out to a thicknesss of up to .5 inch.

The trick here is to cook is slow so you would have to do it on embers or use a stove if you have one. It usually cooks in about 5 minutes and the result is a slightly sweet (withough being sickening after a couple) of rubbery Pizza looking stuff. Its dry to the touch, but moist in the mouth (although a brew always helps :D )

I find it satiates the cravings for sweets in the afternoon when energy is flagging and since its a great mix of simple and complex carbs it will keep your energy level up for a fair few hours.

Total calories around 450-500 depending on the size of your cup :)

SowthEfrikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2006
Texas, USA
Never cook if I am out for the day - it's usually something like bacon, cheese and sun dried tomatos wrapped in a corn tortilla for lunch.

Has everyone come across freezerbagcooking.com ?

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
SowthEfrikan said:
Never cook if I am out for the day - it's usually something like bacon, cheese and sun dried tomatos wrapped in a corn tortilla for lunch.

Has everyone come across freezerbagcooking.com ?

Yup. I've even tried some of the recipes. Very nice too.

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
Roefisher said:
Hi folks,

This is always changing so it's always good to get any up to date ideas from you all. What do you like to take to cook when you're out for the day? No long term survival details or fancy meals here please - just a simple warm meal!

Any ideas or personal fancies are most welcome ...

A decent lamb curry served with cous cous. I know this sounds silly but on a winters day it is very filling and warming and is easy to achieve from basic ingredients. Onion, powder, Pasata (container packs flat when empty), lamb pieces (fine out of the fridge in the winter) knob or butter if you're feeling flash and cous cous which doesn't even require fully boiled water.

If this sounds far fetched I have done it at a bike rally in Anglesea in February. OK not the wilderness but pretty hostile conditions. Takes 25mins.

Stephen
;)

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
I like those meals in a can. There are lots you can get. All day breakfast in a can, sausage, wedges and beans in a can. All it takes is it warming up.
Super noodles are good and tasty and just need water and heat.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
This weekend I'll be taking out thick pea and ham soup with smoked sausage. Very satisfying hot and edible cold. In the winter I'd keep it for a week quite happily.

I shared a house with a couple of friends and we used to cook a big batch of stuff on Sunday in a dutchie and eat it during the week so we could actually eat something sensible and meal prepararation didn't interfere with time in the bar ;) . Alternated between with pea soup, bean soup, curry, dahl and chilli.

Also warms up the sleeping bag if you know what I mean...parp parp

D

Deleted member 4605

Beans of course, but I like to throw in some sausages and lots of curry paste/powder.

As said the meals in a can, or noodles.

Bannock - with soup or by itself - is one of my favourites, which I often make if I'm just going for a (long) walk.

I like the Sausage Tonight sauces - dead easy and tasty. Shame they come in glass jars though!

Jan 22, 2006
uk
porridge made with dried full fat milk with high fruit cruchy stuff in there. honey ontop maybe if you're flagging.
one kettle gets you a brew and a meal, i live on the stuff and i find i rarely get hungry (or more acurately 'low sugar strop on'), even if its 10hrs without grub.
love it, and its as cheap and light to carry as i've found.
if there's a trout nearby however, thats a different matter! the steamed trick in newspaper is great, food of the gods!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE