A Bit Of Canoe Sailing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Took myself off out again on Monday to try and catch a breeze in my canoe.

Not much when I arrived!

But I loaded up the boat and set off into the lake

It's actually quite difficult to describe the feeling of paddling in conditions like this but I find it unquestionably relaxing:cool:

I took myself up the small river that feeds the lake, blissfully peaceful.

I got a fair way upstream then decided to turn back and get something to eat

I emerged back onto the lake and spotted a couple of boats on the bankside, one of which turned out to be a beautiful McNulty Boats "Beaver" cedar strip canoe

A breeze sprang up, so I decided to rig my sail and see what I could do.

I caught the wind and in no time was over to the Glenridding boat hire place, where I decided to have my dinner on the "beach"

After my lunch, I set off back up the lake and was lucky to have a nice breeze pushing me along at a fair old lick but after about 15mins it died back to flat calm again, so I furled the sail and just paddled gently along

The weather started looking a bit iffy and a few rain drops started pocking the water, so I rigged the sail again ready for the breeze I suspected was on its way.

It arrived about 10 mins later and I was off like leaf, I've no idea what speed I was doing but I couldn't operate the camera for trimming the sail and steering, while concentrating on keeping the boat from heeling over too far. Tricky, as you have to lean the other way to counter balance the tipping effect of the sail and if you're leaning too far when the wind dies off, over you go!

Anyway I took a few bits of video of the tame bits of sailing that I'll post up once I've trimmed the ends off!:eek:

That's it for now, I'll be going back again as soon as I can, weather and work permitting.

Steve

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
Looks like an awesome site well envious only get t canoe on the sea on good days hope to get to uk to river paddle one day

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Wow that looks really nice. For some reason reminds me of a lake I visited in Germany a loooong while ago.

I imagine sailing a canoe being pretty difficult - whats the direction keeping like? could you rig up a dagger board to help?

edit
and/or an outrigger to help stability??

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
That looks good. I've been up there myself paddling around for the last 4 days. I havent really got the knack of using my pop up sail yet.

rancid badger

Wow that looks really nice. For some reason reminds me of a lake I visited in Germany a loooong while ago.

I imagine sailing a canoe being pretty difficult - whats the direction keeping like? could you rig up a dagger board to help?

edit
and/or an outrigger to help stability??

All you do is juggle the sail a bit till you catch the wind, then use a paddle to keep you going in the right direction. You get a bit of side slip sometimes, so you can end up going a bit "crabwise" but that doesn't really matter too much.

As far as outriggers and dagger boards go, you can buy outrigger sets for about £380 and lee boards for another £90, then of course you're going to want a tiller/rudder set up, @ another £215 by which time you might as well go for a proper sail and mast! starting around £250!

I'm in the process of making a lee board but I don't really need the out riggers, when it gets a bit hectic, I just release the "sheet" (bit of rope to the bottom corner of the sail) and sort my self out:
[video=youtube;dD7fD9zPhQ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD7fD9zPhQ4[/video]

more to follow!

rancid badger

No it's a custom sail made by a lad on sotp, called "blutack", with the standard alloy, two piece pole, to form the mast and spar.

Very nicely made, my own colours and works very well indeed.

Sadly I don't think he makes them anymore, so you're kind of stuck with Endless river etc.

Mind you, the Endless river ones have a window sewn in, which I've discovered can be quite handy when watching for other craft on the water.

Last edited:

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Wow the birds chirping in the background are picked up well by the mic, nice and relaxing by the sound of it.

I have a guy at work who canoes but he tends to spend more time being wet and going down/ over/ through/ under some stuipdly busy waters...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE