A bit of bushy stuff on a nudist beach (pic heavy)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Ok, I was away over the w/e - family stuff. To keep a tentative line to sanity I managed to sneak in a bit of a bimble. The quality of the bimble was improved by being up _silly early_ - I was back before 7 am :yikes: .

Some of the plants are instantly recognisable (whether you know the name or not) while others cause sessions of research - because you 'feel' that you should know it :eek: :lmao: .

The area - facing west. Plenty of diversity :cool: .

Mixedbunchonthebeach_a.jpg

Sea Kale - highly recognisable.

S7300579_seakale_a.jpg

Had to check this one - Sea Sandwort.

S7300590_seasandwort_a.jpg

Sea Sandwort - but close up.

S7300591_seasandwort_a.jpg

Sea Beet - the leaves are plain but distinctive.

S7300571_seabeet_a.jpg

Sea Beet - the bit that bears seed.

S7300572_seabeet_seedpods_a.jpg

An almost anywhere plant - just needs a sandy habitat.

Viper's Bugloss

S7300578_vipers-buglos_a.jpg

Closer up and you can see the plants 'self defence' system :D .

S7300576_vipersbugloss_a.jpg

Definately a mallow - some of the Mallow in the area was hugging the ground and some was reaching for the sky. A coastal aspect can play merry hell with the growing habit of a plant - the last time I was here I was battered by wind and rain and had difficulty staying stood in one spot :yikes: :yikes: Now in theory, this is either Common or Tree Mallow - but because of the effects of the environment I'll just say that it isn't Marsh Mallow :lmao: .

S7300568_mallow_treeorcommon_a.jpg

I 'think' this is a mustard - even looking through books and the net I can't find anything that looks exactly like it. Like I said, being coastal can have strange effects on vegetation.

S7300570_notsure_mustard_a.jpg

A (poor) pic of the _mustard_ flower.

S7300569_notsure_mustard_a.jpg

The _mustard_ flower heads and seed pods seen against a Sea Beet.

S7300573_a.jpg

One of those :confused: I should know :confused:. Anyone care to put me out of pic misery?

S7300589_hmm_a.jpg

I bimble therefore I brew :D .

S7300585_brewupwithtitaniumspork_a.jpg

The east end - in the mid ground is the nudist beach. Move along, nothing to see :yikes: :lmao: .
EDIT: The far end of this FLINT beach really is a nudist beach - talk about hardcore - 'Short back and sides sir?'

S7300582_nudsistbeach_a.jpg

There's a yellow flower in the bottom left of the first pic - it's a Yellow Horned Poppy. Again, I'd not seen one before and had to look it up. Apparently it's quite rare - but quite prolific in the areas that it does grow.

YellowHorned-poppy.jpg

I forgot to take a pic :eek: - the above pic is from the University of Sussex

Many thanks for taking the time to look.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a common mallow, it grows 2m high when it doesn't get blown over, if it does it just keeps sprawling along :D You can eat the leaves.

I think the other one's a curly dock.

Nice to see photos of the kale and beet, the bugloss and the rest :D

cheers,
Toddy

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
That's a common mallow, it grows 2m high when it doesn't get blown over, if it does it just keeps sprawling along :D You can eat the leaves.

Thanks for the clarification and info. There were a host of mature plants that were ground hugging - and so starts the research into whether bits broken off the parent plant can set down their own roots - nothing unusual in layering, but I haven't knowingly seen a mallow do it :confused: :confused:

I think the other one's a curly dock.

Thanks for that, as soon as I read 'dock' I could see it :eek: :lmao:
Definately a tip of the tongue 'Argh' moment :rolleyes:

Nice to see photos of the kale and beet, the bugloss and the rest :D

I have to admit to liking architectural plants - if nothing else, plants that make for a more striking impact seem to have more easily remembered names :eek:

For general info - this is a recipe for curly dock bread (usual disclaimer blurb!).

Thanks for the responces.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Great, thanks. We took a trip to the coast last week but I forgot my book - grr. Posts like this are just as good though. Nice one.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... We took a trip to the coast last week but I forgot my book - grr. ...

Same here :eek: . I was flicking through a plant book after we'd returned home and I ID'd the poppy by pure coincidence - it stuck in my mind because it was unusual :) .

Thanks for all of the kind comments.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE