A bit of advice on bending a file tang please.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Hey folks :)

i,m having another tinker with a file,..or the remaining bit from another project...

the design is as below,...

i will chop the micata (from the RAT3 i modded) down to two holes and want to leave a nice bent loop in the tang to for the rest of the handle/lanyard hook,..

please excuse my crude fotoshop its just easier than trying to explain what i want to achieve,..
IMG00141-20101031-1629.jpg

IMG00141-20101031-16291.jpg

IMG00141-20101031-162912.jpg

my questions are,...how hot(what colour) is ideal to bend the file tang into the shape shown,,

and what difficulties could i come across,..

as always,..thanks in advance for your help,...

Cheers,..

Stu:pirate:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
About a cherry red/orange colour would be good for a nice easy bend.any hotter and you risk it crumbling.Another thing i'd do is after bending to heat the whole thing to a non-magnetic(cherry red)heat and let it cool down naturally.Then do the heat treat malarky.HtH.:)

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
About a cherry red/orange colour would be good for a nice easy bend.any hotter and you risk it crumbling.Another thing i'd do is after bending to heat the whole thing to a non-magnetic(cherry red)heat and let it cool down naturally.Then do the heat treat malarky.HtH.:)

cheers mate,...i annealed it to make these cuts but maybe dint get it hot enough as the holes were a bit difficult,..

so another go in the bbq cant hurt i spose,...

mrs's hair dryer wasntr too hapay tho,,,,

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Cherry red for bending, else it'll be too easy to change the cross-section. You might have problems with it collapsing at the third hole as you bend it. Not much to be done about that though I'm afraid.

Do the end (finger?) curve first, then the big one.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Cherry red for bending, else it'll be too easy to change the cross-section. You might have problems with it collapsing at the third hole as you bend it. Not much to be done about that though I'm afraid.

Do the end (finger?) curve first, then the big one.

yeah i drilled the hole on a whim with some other idea in mind,..

i,m gonna weld it up before i go for the bend,...

cheers

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Arc-welding high-carbon steels is supposedly quite tricky.

i sdidnt know that thanks,.. its not needed to be structural,...hang on,..why dont i just pin it?

i could drop a pin in the hole ,..that'd stop the collapse , but im thinking now it could stress it and cause a break on one side of the hole,..??

all i can do is try eh..

Cheers Matt,.

Stu,,

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
The only two workable solutions I can think of are (a) leave it as a partial-stick-tang or (b) chop it off at the shoulder and consider it a 2-pin partial-tang knife.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
i,ve chopped it!...

i left a bit on,...i will leave this exposed and drill it for the lanyard,..(which will be needed as it is now quite a small handle)

thanks anyway Matt,....,..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE