A birdhouse and a smile

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Spent some today with a young lad I teach now and again.

He wanted to do some woodwork,never having used so much as a screwdriver before.

So we built a birdhouse. I thought I would cover the tools we used after Lannyman's "how old for a knife" question.

This young man (10 years old) used (sensibly, appropriately and safely)

Panel saw
Tenon saw
Dovetail Saw
10" Table Saw
Sliding Chop saw
Razor Sharp Chisels
Bailey Plane
Hand Drill
Brace and Bit
Battery Hand Drill
Pillar Drill
Sanding block
Electric Sander
Electric Screwdriver
Manual Screw Driver

Cost of materials - £0

Value of the grin? Priceless

Birdhouse & Smile by British Red, on Flickr

I would have been happy to make something so neat at twenty, let alone ten. I think most kids can achieve a lot given time and supervision

It was a nice day :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll be honest Mike I was really surprised what he achieved - he really showed a great degree of skill, and, more surprisingly, patience.

I couldn't have done it at ten, that's for sure, and it really was all his own work, bevelled edge to the roof, mitred side walls, the works !

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aahhh that's no hardship, he is a nice young man, very polite. Makes a pretty good day, wood shavings everywhere, sausage butties for lunch with mulled apple juice to drink. Its better than a day in the office :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's very kind...,but I am much the same, bought two sets to make one good one and have loads left over.

A huge thank you though....that's a very kind offer :).

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's the way forward indeed; I still have vivid and fond memories of the elders who gave me the time and patient instruction and instilled in me a good basic foundation of tools and their uses along with the knowledge to care for them. Excellent!

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Teaching the young ones how to make things is great - and the young man did well!

Just a tip for the teacher: When making birdhouses, don't put a stick below the hole - it makes unwanted hand/foot hold for raccoons, squirrels etc to easily access the birds within.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good on you Red, it's sad that in the current climate that more folk feel that they can't do these things. I think that sort of "apprenticeship" relationship is something that's sadly missing for a lot of kids these days. There was an older retired chap that used to teach a lot of the locals how to do stuff when I was growing up, sometimes it was building great things like you did there, other times it could be moving a heap of manure or chopping wood for the pensioners in the village. Everyone benefited and it helped us to grow into responsible young men.

More power to your elbow sir.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, good stuff Red, I think that youngsters experiencing things like that make for life changing oppertunities, or at least life valuing opportunities, there's no where near enough hands on for kids now...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE