a bannock question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
in the articels section there are 3 recipes for bannock on the last one it states 4,5dl flour and 2dl water

my question is what does "dl" mean, and what is the conversion to cups or ounces, mills or what ever. :dunno:

thanks
dean

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
it' stands for decilitres - a metric unit of volume equal to one tenth of a literdoes this help? :)

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
i wouldn't be too concerned about exact measurements.

when making bannock in the field i work on this principle:

How many people am i making it for and how large do i want each portion to be?

Then i use ANY measure to hand (and on occasions that has been my hand :lmao: ) usually that is my lightweight mug. 1 full cup flour to half a cup of water, throw in any fruit,berries or anything i've brought with me and away i go. That is enough for me and i multiply that according to how many are with me.

Experimentation is the key, Maybe consider making one at home using exact measurements so you know what the consistancy of the dough feels like. Then you have an idea of what you should be aiming for in the field when you've left your kitchen scales at home :D

As long as it is edible there isn't really a wrong way to make it. It's down to trial and error and personal preference.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
g4ghb said:
it' stands for decilitres - a metric unit of volume equal to one tenth of a literdoes this help? :)

so a dl is 100ml ? wish I knew that before, bought a pack of couscous the other day that confused the **** out of me. :eek:

yes
1 l (liter: defined as 1cubic decimeter)

= 10 dl (deciliter)
= 100cl (centiliter)
= 1000ml (mililiter or cc= cubic centimeter)

= 0.1 Dl (decaliter, not frequently used)
= 0.01Hl (hectoliter, used in wine and beer production)
= 0.001 m3 (cubic meter)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Stupid French invention! I am all for decimals but dec- and hec- are stupid. Doing my kids homework with them is a minefield.

For example changing one letter changes it completely i.e.

dec-i-litre - 100ml or 1/10 litre (dl)
but

dec-a-litre = 10 000 ml or 10 litres (dal)

Now, I understand what a hectare is (10 000 sq. metres or 2.47 acres) as it is a sensible area. BUT here you have to learn also absurd equivalents like:

1 hectolitre is 10 decalitres or 1 hectogram is 10 decagrams :aargh4:

In my profession in design in the UK we use metres, millimetres and occasionally centimetres is necessary (dependant on scale) so 2-3 units of measurement. The kids have to learn 7!!

millimetre
centimetre
decimetre
metre
decametre
hectometre
kilometre

Perhaps in a chemistry lab but not for making cakes :rolleyes:

And don't get me started on the use of ',' and '.' to designate the decimal point and thousands.

If I sell you a RM knife for 1,000 euro here that's less than a quid. If I sell it for 1.000 that's 628 smackers in the bank..... :(

Excuse the rank.

To the original question:
in the articels section there are 3 recipes for bannock on the last one it states 4,5dl flour and 2dl water

Can you really say 4,5dl ?? I assume that is 4.5 dl in English = 450 ml.

1 decilitre = 0.423 cup, so

4.5 dl = 1.903 cups (US of course, 2.284 breakfast cups in UK !)

For sanity, just say 2:1, 2 mugs (billy can, wheelbarrow) of flour to 1 mug of water :)

Mike B

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2006
Wakefield West Yorks
Moonraker said:
For sanity, just say 2:1, 2 mugs (billy can, wheelbarrow) of flour to 1 mug of water :)
Exactly What I was going to say.I don't know of any chef that measures precisely their ingredients.so out in the field just stick to 2:1 and adjust the end mix to get the right cosistency.
If you check out Las247 and My attempt on Song Of The Paddle we found that following the recipe of 2 cups:1cup gave us a rather sloppy mix and we had to pad it out slightly with more dry ingredients.By the time we had it right we had way too much it overfaced three of us and the mad paddling dog. Mike B...

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hmmmm, for two cups of bannock mix, I use 1/3 cup of water and a splash more. :confused: If I'm making pancakes, then I add quite a bit more water.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
6 Flour, 1 shortening, 1/2 milk, pinch salt, good shake of baking powder (about two tsps if we're doing cups) enough water to bind to a really thick paste, handful of wild cherries

bannockug2.jpg

or mix to a well ....batter consistency with a duck egg and the first blackberries

pancakesca4.jpg

Red (who is going to the kitchen now)

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
Moonraker wrote;

Can you really say 4,5dl ?? I assume that is 4.5 dl in English = 450 ml.

1 decilitre = 0.423 cup, so

4.5 dl = 1.903 cups (US of course, 2.284 breakfast cups in UK !)

well i don't know if you can say it or not but it is what is on the recipe
here it is from the articles section:

Gerd's's recipe

Another simple recipy for a bannock type of bread would be :
4,5 dl flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons bakingpowder
50 gram butter / margarine
2 dl water
Herbs / spices, whole corn etc can be mixed into this, if you want to. The above is just the basic mix.
Mix all dry engredients including the butter / margarine and store in plastic bags or containers. Mix water without kneading dough too much when you are going to bake. Divide into "just about right sizes" and bake on the pan in your Trangia set (or whatever type of stove / cooking set you use). Take only about 15 min to mix and bake.

looking at it now with the input from you all :You_Rock_ , may be 4.5 dl does make sense and prehaps it's a "typo"

dean

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
ArkAngel said:
i wouldn't be too concerned about exact measurements.

when making bannock in the field i work on this principle:

How many people am i making it for and how large do i want each portion to be?

Then i use ANY measure to hand (and on occasions that has been my hand :lmao: ) usually that is my lightweight mug. 1 full cup flour to half a cup of water, throw in any fruit,berries or anything i've brought with me and away i go. That is enough for me and i multiply that according to how many are with me.

Experimentation is the key, Maybe consider making one at home using exact measurements so you know what the consistancy of the dough feels like. Then you have an idea of what you should be aiming for in the field when you've left your kitchen scales at home :D

As long as it is edible there isn't really a wrong way to make it. It's down to trial and error and personal preference.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

WOW! talk about simple, Just flour and water!!!

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Pignut said:
WOW! talk about simple, Just flour and water!!!
I think I would make it 'self-raising' flour (which contains chemical leavening agents, like baking powder already added) as plain flour would not rise :eek: :)

You can take baking soda or baking powder or yeast and add you own to plain flour which would be more versatile (you can use the plain for other things not needing to leaven).

In the wild you can use some wild fruit/ berries (don't wash, especially fruits with bloom on the skin like plums etc.) notably blackberries, raspberries, elderberries or plums. The fruit that have a 'bloom' (whitish, powder over the surface) because this bloom is in fact a wild yeast. In fact just adding water and flour and leaving it might get lucky and catch some wild yeast, but the advantage of berries is they have sugar in them too for the yeasts to grow.

Aspen (Populus tremula)
has a similar bloom on it's outer bark which can also be collected and used for this purpose.
The white powder found on the outside of the tree contains a good quantity of naturally occurring yeast. A sourdough bread mix kicked off with this powder will add some leavening and a great flavor to bread, pancakes, and other baked goods. Try scraping off a few teaspoonfuls, and add it to a soupy mix of flour and water. Throw in a tablespoon of sugar for good measure and wait a few days, stirring each day. The mix should begin to foam and smell "yeasty." Once this has occurred, add a portion of the mix to a bread dough recipe, replacing what you remove to perpetuate the starter. Check out a good cookbook for specific recipes for making sourdough bread.
source: http://www.wwmag.net/aspen.htm

Some good info here;

Foraging for Wild Yeast

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
longshot said:
may be 4.5 dl does make sense and prehaps it's a "typo"
dean

Ha ha, unfortunately your "prehaps" is the typo :22:

4.5 dl is prefictly reasonably though, init? You wouldn't shirk at saying 1.5 centimetres and insist that it's 15 millimetres, or would you?

I suppose it's possible that the decilitre is still a bit uncommon in Britain but it is a useful amount on the human scale of things, a couple of handfuls, fifth of a pint, seven tablespoons.

Although I now use millilitres and milligrams for cooking I think they have a major disadvantage in that everyday size things, e.g. a chunk of this or a few good glugs of that, are measured in hundreds of these units and hundreds of things are difficult for us both to imagine and to remember.

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
Moonraker said:
For example changing one letter changes it completely i.e.

dec-i-litre - 100ml or 1/10 litre (dl)
but
dec-a-litre = 10 000 ml or 10 litres (dal)

and let's not forget the de-m-ilitre where another one letter change must annoy you completely :22:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
risby said:
Ha ha, unfortunately your "prehaps" is the typo :22:

4.5 dl is prefictly reasonably though, init? You wouldn't shirk at saying 1.5 centimetres and insist that it's 15 millimetres, or would you?

I suppose it's possible that the decilitre is still a bit uncommon in Britain but it is a useful amount on the human scale of things, a couple of handfuls, fifth of a pint, seven tablespoons.

Although I now use millilitres and milligrams for cooking I think they have a major disadvantage in that everyday size things, e.g. a chunk of this or a few good glugs of that, are measured in hundreds of these units and hundreds of things are difficult for us both to imagine and to remember.
Personally I prefer things simple :) So why use 4.5 dl?, which many people in the UK would struggle to recognise as a unit of measurement; when 450 ml says the same thing and it's what most people are used to on cartons of milk etc in their fridge and taught at school.

Like you I would use millilitres as a measure for liquid up to 1000 ml/ 1 litre, then use litres to avoid huge numbers.

Do you really use milligrams? I would use grams up to 1 kilogramme then use kg.

100 g flour

1.2 kg pork (rather than 1200 g)

rather than 1 kg = 1 000 000 milligramme !

Again, as these measurements are those most commonly used when buying food (apart from imperial equivalents)

With centimetres I would avoid them in my work preferring again to use millimetres up to a metre, then metres above that. Mainly because precision is fairly important in my design work and it avoids more confusion. But in some instances centimetres would be the standard measurement (for instance when specifying plants, we would state a 3 cm pot size being the diameter of the pot).

If I am talking with other people I would probably use centimetres or inches as that is a more common measurement for stuff up to 1 metre. But you often find materials stated in mm, such as timber, bolts, rope diameter etc.

But away from the kitchen and scales (often I guesstimate anyhow ;) ) it's just simpler to use something we may carry, like a mug and where precision is not so important and human scale has more of a place.

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
I just make mine as I go along and mine are allways good. I dont tart about with it .,the best bannock I have made is in a frying pan .put what ever you want in thats my rule

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE