9 days hiking and camping in the lakes.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

elefantman

Jan 24, 2014
suffolk
Evening all.
After some thoughts/input. Ive been given a one week free pass by swmbo to go hiking in mid may with the brother in law. This will be the third year we've had the nod.. Two years ago we did a loop of north Dartmoor over a few days. Last year we did Coniston to Keswick over a few days via eskdale, skarfell, pillar and finally high spy and the cat bells.
This year we were thinking of Skye or even Finland.. But I've injured my coccyx cycling so although walking, hiking etc is fine I really don't fancy the car or plane journeys sitting so we're going back to the lakes... My brother in law's done a lot of the lakes and I've done a fair bit myself... Were thinking of some kind of large loop taking in as many high points and interesting bits as we can. We like to camp high up but the odd night down at a site to de-stink might be useful.
Any thoughts on places out of the norm or routes greatly appreciated.
Cheers Jim

elefantman

Jan 24, 2014
suffolk
Nothings really out-of-the-norm in the Lakes these days. Sine you have 9 Days. Why not follow the Cumbrian section of Wainwright's Coast-to-Coast walk, perhaps.

That's pretty much what we were thinking. My brother in law's done the coast to coast.. Ive done a bigish chunk of it.
We were chatting over the weekend and we are still toying with other options.. Maybe Scotland or Ireland.. Even considered Iceland as flights are not too pricey. I guess it will be a case of what we fancy..

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
If you haven't already decided, it may be worth having a look at the Lakeland Round route in Tom Lawton's book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Lakeland-Round-10-stage-Long-distance/dp/0706372093

A ten day route round the major peaks of the Lake District with a high and low level route each day (to give flexibility depending on how energetic you are feeling/what the weather is doing) with each day ending in a town or village with accommodation. Even if you want to do your own thing and/or need to shorten it makes a great starting point for route planning. I walked this solo many years ago and its the great basis for a trip to the Lakes. Ignore the poor reviews on @mazon - they are from idiots who thought that the simple maps in the book would be a substitute for OS maps.

Let us know what you decide and how you get on. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE