60mph Speed Limit on Motorways, your thoughts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Nope just a 34 mile section where air quality is poor to 60mph. Who says that other eu states have the same problem as that small stretch.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I was mixing up my descriptions. Nothing like statistics and facts to prove a point, and that was nothing like facts and statistics :rolleyes:

In general, I'm in favour of reduced speed limits in some situations. Studied it a bit at uni and saw it implemented on Western Australia's first multi-lane 'freeway'. Great traffic flow, no jambs. A politician campaigned on "Elect me and I'll get the speed limit lifted on the freeway.". He got in, lifted the speed limit and hey ho, traffic jambs. Never mind science and engineering, lets just go with appealing to the populace.

However in the proposed area near Sheffield the limit alteration is pretty much pointless. There is a pinch point in the motorway going past Meadowhall, much accelerating of vehicles entering motorway then arctics flooring it to build up speed for the next climb and rolling section. IMO that is what causes the poor air quality (combined with the bowl-like geography of that spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE