58 Pattern sleeping bag needs some tlc..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all, this is my first post onto the Forum ,just joined about thirty seconds ago.
There's so much info on here! Great stuff!

Just wondering if anyone knows a good way of washing a British Army down filled sleeping bag??
I received it today after ordering it yesterday! (great service via Surplus and Outdoors http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com) goodjob
It's in need of some de-stinking...

Any ideas??

Thanks!

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
If you do a google search there's mention of doing them by hand in the bath, I had one years ago and it's a mission but worth it to get rid of the greeblies.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Wash-Your-Down-Sleeping-Bag&id=203170

You have to be careful not to tear it due to the weight when wet. They take ages to dry as well...don't have anything planned soon after! You could always get a liner and give the bag a liberal dose of Febreeze over the course of a few days, I've done that as well. Depends on how cranky the bag is I guess.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
That's the idea, press as much water out as you can and get it outside carefully so it doesn't tear. The good thing about the 58 bag is you can turn it inside out no worries for a good airing. Great bags if they're the right size, mine was normal but I needed a long one. Still used it for 10 years though, wished I'd modded it into an underblanket for my hammock now! D'oh!!!

Had the same problem with orginally ordering a short one and then buying another one in the longer size.. I'm trying to sell the short one if you're still interested in modding it into an underblanket?? Going for £35 including postage??

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Cheers for the offer but I'm well sorted with my current set-up, hindsight and all that but no drama. It was just one of those things where I got rid of it then instantly thought 'why didn't I do something with it'. Good luck with the cleaning, febreeze does work wonders eliminating squaddie stink, but to be honest I love the smell of surplus!:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE