Old Snuggledown of Norway sleeping bag... Question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
OK, so back in around 1988 I'm guessing I got given a sleeping bag. It was pretty cool and very warm! At least, that's my memory... Problem is, I can't really remember. It isn't labelled up in any way that gives me a hint as to how warm it might be. After an age stored rolled up I think it could use a wash and tumble dry to fluff it back up. It's going to need a service wash though as it's too big for my washing machine.

So, the question is, do I wash the old Snuggledown sleeping bag (Dupont Hollofil) and see how it fluffs up...
or
Is it likely to be more cost efficient to just buy a surplus Arctic bag?

I guess I really need an old catalog to see if I can find my bag and get some specs. (or sleep out and see how cold I get, but I don't fancy that!)

Any ideas of tests or rules of thumb I could use?

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
I would wash it that don't cost much.

I wash in my house, dry as much as possible over a few days then go use the Laundromats tumble dryers.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
I have an old Hollofil bag from the 70's (Blacks of G Highland) amongst others, and yes wash, nothing to lose, but tumble dry cool, and possibly as has been suggested elsewhere, a clean dry trainer, or similar, in there too, to knock it about a bit?

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Ah, the old "throw in a tennis ball or two" trick to bash it around a bit. Would do but it'll have to be a service wash I think, it wants a 9kg washing machine... Don't think I can spare the half a day sat watching it wash and dry! Any guides as to how I might judge its temp rating after a clean? If it's warm enough a winter hammock is where it will end up with a DD underquilt...

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
After the service wash and drying properly, I'd take it out and try it. Not too far from the house, just in case its not up to the job...
Can you set up in your backyard?
That should give you a good idea on how it performs...
❓

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Ah, the old "throw in a tennis ball or two" trick to bash it around a bit. Would do but it'll have to be a service wash I think, it wants a 9kg washing machine... Don't think I can spare the half a day sat watching it wash and dry! Any guides as to how I might judge its temp rating after a clean? If it's warm enough a winter hammock is where it will end up with a DD underquilt...

Hollofil was an early generation synthetic fill, and I've been told that it can break and lose it's "loft" over the years. A reason given for not storing in the compression bag.......
Certainly I don't feel my Highland is as warm as it was by any means, although still in excellent nick. It was, in the 70's, advertised as the be and end all, but I now use it as a summer bag if not using the Czech bedroll..........

I don't know the synthetic fill of my Army Artic/90/95 (can't be certain quite what it is??) is. I store both loose......

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
It's in great condition visually and hadn't been kept in a stuff sack, but was rolled quite tightly and tied tightly with the attached laces. That won't have helped. I think it's going to have to be a wash, then a foam mat in the garden for a bit of an idea. It'll be assisted by an underquilt and a hammock quilt, so I'll probably live :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Hollofil was an early generation synthetic fill, and I've been told that it can break and lose it's "loft" over the years. A reason given for not storing in the compression bag.......

I found an old Mountain Equipment jacket in a charity shop about 2 years ago, which uses Thinsulate and Hollofil. According to a knowledgeable person on Outdoor Magic, it dates back to 1987! After putting it in the wash on a handwash setting with some Vanish, and then tumbledrying it for ages, it was fine, and bulks up pretty well.

I suspect it wasn't stored compressed (my sleeping bags, down or synthetic, are always stored loose), but I was surprised just how well its lasted, and (fortunately) how warm it still is!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE