'58 Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Hi can you help? The time has come to wash my bag. Do you know how to do it?
Its getting whiffy from the generations of squaddies who used it before me.

The missus has a duvet setting on the washing machine but I'm not convinced. I don't want to lose the backing sheet. Any ideas?
Many thanks
George :confused:

paul.e

Oct 25, 2005
hythe kent
i believe it washes best in a commercial washer because it has a bigger drum thus bashing it about less, just make sure you dry it thoroughly otherwise it will stink worse than before

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
This is just of the top of my head, so it might pay to research it first - I seem to recall something about washing feather duvets at the launderette and tumble drying them with tennis balls in the machine to separate all the feathers. I've no idea where I heard it, mind!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I think the usual advice with washing down bags is 'don't unless you have to.'

Unfortunately it sounds like you do have to. Nikwax sell a product for this purpose. For an expensive down bag you can get it professionally cleaned. However, it may be more economical to buy a brand new unissued '58 bag for £45 (and that's for the long - the regular length are cheaper).

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I used to have an issue arcticbag and I shampooed mine in the bath, seemed to work ok. Takes an age to dry though, shook it regularly and the loft came back.
The arctic bag doesnt have the groundsheet, but my french issue one does I have had that about 15 years and treated that the same, the groundsheet could probably do with reproofing now but it has lasted well considering. :rolleyes:

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
scanker said:
I seem to recall something about washing feather duvets at the launderette and tumble drying them with tennis balls in the machine to separate all the feathers. I've no idea where I heard it, mind!
That's how I always washed mine! I also gave the bag a good dose of Nikiwax/similar product afterwards for good measure... and then reproofed the base of it with a high density water proof wax/tar stuff my old man got me from a shoe maker he knows!

Works a treat and ket me dry and snug, although reproofing the bottom did make it a bit stiff for a while!!!

Gotta love the old '58!

Jan 12, 2006
Kent UK
Wah the bag in the machine at the launderette with Nikwax Down Wash (or Tech wash if no down wash available) and then put through another cycle with Nikwax Down proofer if you want to put some water repellancy on the face fabric and the down. Tumble dry for at least 60 mins on a low heat. You can use some old clean tennis balls to break up the clumps but you might get some dye leakage if they are new.

Take the bag home, hang it somewhere warm and then re tumble dry for about 30 minutes to fully loft it. Do not store it compressed and do not store it in a plastic bag as this get condensation. put it in a large pillow case or something similar.

If you do not want to buy a new one this is the best way of looking after it. This methoed has been tried on RAB, TNF, ME,Berghaus down bags with excellent results.

Reactions: Doc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE